coffee morning and afternoon?

Options
I enjoy coffee, usually from costa or nero, and just wondered what other people drink? Do you have more than one a day? Are you like me and only have coffee when out and just tea at home? I see it as a daily treat and dont mind paying, although I use a lot of vouchers rewards, merkat etc to save money. Do you have caffeine or decaff? One two or three shots? sugar or not? 
I am cutting down on sugar so have been having smaller drinks such as espresso and cortado or small americano. However I generally enjoy the milkier ones more which is a problem as they contain sugar. 
I read that italians drink milky coffee  in the morning and espress in the afternoon as a pick me up, some kind of tradition? May not even be true. Anyway be good to hear your habits.

Comments

• booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February at 7:24PM
    Options
    Oh I drink multiple cups of coffee a day, maybe up to 5 (If I ever get concerned about this level of intake, I just do a quick google for 'coffee health benefits' and selectively read a few results :) )

A coffee bean is one of my five a day, right?

My coffee is always caffeinated. I'm actually wondering if I'd suffer withdrawal symptoms and whether I should try not drinking coffee for a couple of days to find out. Usually lattes, never add sugar. I weaned myself off sugar in hot beverages in my late teens.

Most of the time I'm using my reasonably fancy bean-to-cup machine at home, as such it's quite a cheap addiction to service since I buy 2kg sacks of beans whenever I'm nearly empty (I'm a 3day a week hybrid home worker)

It's rarely I drink take away coffee, but if I do it's usually from Nero. I used their loyalty scheme and O2s free coffee benefit when I worked next to one.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was working I saved having a starbucks as a special treat - usually when I was meeting a friend on a break.  Otherwise I'd bring it from home in a flask or travel mug.  Made in the pod machine, 2 espresso pods, hot milk, no sugar.  Only coffee I have now is the morning one and that's usually my full caffeine fix though I will on occasion have a tea about 4 if I'm at home.  But even then I will have a herbal one rather than the normal assam.  When I'm at my p/t job the crew there know I'm a "red berry, bag out".  And I have the tea more for the warmth (there's essentially no heating at all) rather than being thirsty.  Assam will have a drop of milk - very dark rather than milky.

OH has black coffee normally and a lot of it.  2 lungo pods and an espresso to start and then another lungo or 2 after breakfast.  Assam with milk in the afternoon and an espresso after dinner.  He will occasionally have a dark (not black) tea with a tiny amount of sugar in the morning unless there's croissants in which case it's lungo with hot milk in a coffee bowl for dunking.  (yuck)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Ace321
    Ace321 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of coffee. I like tea. But I do go to Starbucks and have a hot chocolate or tea. If you get a Starbucks Loyalty card in store, as I have, you earn points. 3 stars (points) for everyone £1 spent and when you reach 150 points you get a free drink. Earn 500 points in a year and you get to be a Gold member, with free birthday drink,  free whipped cream etc. As this is a money saving site I thought I should point it out!
  • Ace321
    Ace321 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    booneruk said:
    It's rarely I drink take away coffee, but if I do it's usually from Nero. I used their loyalty scheme and O2s free coffee benefit when I worked next to one.

I'm with O2 and when you ring the O2 Info Hotline on an O2 mobile phone and listen to the various offers it tells you you can claim a free drink at Caffe Nero every Tuesday! So I imagine the place is full of O2 customers on a Tuesday! 😂
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February at 7:09PM
    Options
    Ace321 said:
    booneruk said:

I'm with O2 and when you ring the O2 Info Hotline on an O2 mobile phone and listen to the various offers it tells you you can claim a free drink at Caffe Nero every Tuesday! So I imagine the place is full of O2 customers on a Tuesday! 😂
    Yep! They were always busy on free coffee day. The absolute bonus of it is that you also get a stamp on your loyalty card with the free coffees. I ended up filling a whole card with stamps collected solely via the O2 deal. That's very MSE.

One day I went into the same Nero and bought a coffee on my contactless card. The barista knew me quite well and remarked "Oh, you do actually pay for coffee then"  :D

Oh, and just to add, I've not been an O2 customer for several years now. I've heard mutterings that this free coffee deal is no more. All good things :(
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 February at 8:01AM
    Options
    Pod coffee in a 100ml mug at work and home, black, caffeinated (mostly) no sugar. I have 3 a day usually.

I like the Cru Kafe pods.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a bean to cup machine at home, and drink at least two double espressos a day. I top it up with a smidge of cold water as I like it not too hot. I usually stop having caffinated drinks at noon, unless it's a day like today when I was absolutely wiped at 2pm and still had lots to do.

My absolute favourite is an espresso con panna (with whipped cream) but that's a bit much for everyday. When I'm out and about I'll usually take a reusable cup with a long black coffee from home, but occasionally get either black coffee or a soy cappuccino if I'm in desperate need of coffee (or a treat.) 

On which note, unsweetened soy or almond milk are very low in sugar compared to cows milk however the sweetened ones are more often found in coffee shops. 
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just have one coffee a day (and only when I’m working) - either a mocha from nero on my way to the office, or instant coffee if I’m working from home 
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February at 8:07AM
    Options
    We're fortunate enough to have one of these big catering-stylenNespresso machines at work, so have free coffee on tap (but it's one in the morning and one to see me through the afternoon for me, or I'd be so overcaffeinated I'd be shaking like a dog).

I can't remember when I actually bought a coffee from Costa etc!
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    I have instant in the morning. I then try to only drink coffee when out with friends, of course I sadly fail and tend to buy about 5 cups of coffee across the week. I like americano, espresso and if I'm feeling a bit sad I will have a latte with syrup in. I don't really have a sweet tooth but I like hazlenut syrup.

I'm getting an aeropress before my birthday which I asked for before I started drinking instant. Aeropress coffee is so delicious.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback