We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Major Holiday Change

Options
I have got a holiday booked with TUI due to fly in 6 months time. 

I booked the holiday last year and booked an all inclusive package which included 10 bard and 10 restaurants along with beach waiter service and 24 hours room service along with premium drinks and access to all pools. 

Since booking TUI have re-negotiated their contract with the hotel and now our package only includes access to 8 bars, 3 restaurants, no beach waiter service and access to 1 less pool. If we would like to access any of the other facilities which was included in our original booking we have to pay £25pp per day to access these. 

TUI have advised we can either go on the holiday or move to a different hotel which is over an hour from the resort we booked and has many less bars and restaurants, no room service and no beach waiter service. 

The price of the holiday has reduced due to reflect the changes by £500 however we will not see this reduction. 

I have complained to TUI but have had no response and I'm unsure what I can do in this situation. Its worth noting this is our Honeymoon and we have paid over £5,000 for 2 people to go on this all inclusive 14 night honeymoon of a life time to Mexico. 

Does anyone have an advice? 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Mexico is the last place in the world I'd go AI, far too much more interesting things to do outside the hotel to be stuck there and very cheap if you take 2 steps from the tourist traps. 

Time to read those T&Cs you agreed to... what does it say about changes to access to facilities? 

Being realistic which of these matter to you? Do you really care about the 2 lost bars? With the exception of a single hotel beach service everywhere has been terrible and so always got up and got my own drinks etc. 

The only one that really looks notable is the reduction in restaurants but have no idea what the original ones were and what the new ones are and if I'd care about the ones gone. Personally I'd be more likely to be outside at a taqueria or a mezcaleria

• The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I've read it correctly, I think the Op is more concerned that the new price for the package is some £500 less than he paid, and he won't get that reduction refunded.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February at 5:51PM
    Options
    Don't TUI have to honour the contract the OP entered into with them ?
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you paid for the holiday in full yet?
    I'd certainly argue it's a significant change to what you originally booked and look to cancel, as long as you can rebook the similar holiday for £500 less.
    I'd chase TUI for a response.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    edited 23 February at 6:14PM
    Options
    If I've read it correctly, I think the Op is more concerned that the new price for the package is some £500 less than he paid, and he won't get that reduction refunded.
    I *think* the OP is actually saying they've been offered £500 off the £5K initial price, to allow for the reduced service.

"The price of the holiday has reduced due to reflect the changes by £500 however we will not see this reduction."

OP, what outcome do you want? I think you should be given a 3rd choice of cancellation with a full refund, due to this being a significant change.

But, if the original service can be gotten for £25 per person per day, then thats 25 * 2 * 14 = £700, so I'd be going back and asking for that. It's not far off the £500 (I think) you have been offered, so hopefully they'll stretch to that.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February at 8:04PM
    Options
    The first step here is to establish if TUI are treating this a significant change to the package or not.  This will then enable you to look at next steps regarding what outcome you want.

Changes to package holidays are either deemed significant or not.  If they are significant you have certain rights, including the option to cancel for a full refund.  It will be worth looking at the Package and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 in conjunction with the TUI T&Cs.

The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 (legislation.gov.uk)
    Terms and Conditions (tui.co.uk)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I *think* the OP is actually saying they've been offered £500 off the £5K initial price, to allow for the reduced service.

"The price of the holiday has reduced due to reflect the changes by £500 however we will not see this reduction."

OP, what outcome do you want? I think you should be given a 3rd choice of cancellation with a full refund, due to this being a significant change.

But, if the original service can be gotten for £25 per person per day, then thats 25 * 2 * 14 = £700, so I'd be going back and asking for that. It's not far off the £500 (I think) you have been offered, so hopefully they'll stretch to that.
    I read it as saying that the price of the holiday has been reduced by £500 if you went and booked it now but that TUI aren't giving them £500 back to bring their cost in line. 

OP - can you clarify this £500 issue please. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Don't TUI have to honour the contract the OP entered into with them ?
    Yes but a contract can say that changes can be made/ not all amenities will be available etc hence the first step is to read the contract, ideally before buying.

Neil49 said:

I read it as saying that the price of the holiday has been reduced by £500 if you went and booked it now but that TUI aren't giving them £500 back to bring their cost in line. 

OP - can you clarify this £500 issue please. 
    The OP clearly states "we will not see this reduction" 

The reality however is that holidays change in price all the time even without a change in what's included in the AI and so cannot definitely state the reason. Last plague cruise ship we took was originally advertised at £1,500, we booked when it was £700, it then went down to £600, then up to £900 and then was sold out. And that was for a holiday that's description hadn't changed, just those booking later had less choice of cabins with ultimately the last booker having a choice of one. 
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    If the price of the holiday had increased by £500 after you’d booked it, would you be happy if they’d said you need to pay another £500? 
  • Sgg97
    Sgg97 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To clarify. 

The all inclusive package has reduced and since this change the price of the holiday if I where to book now has reduced by £500. Meaning I’m paying the original price with less of a service than agreed. My ts and cs say all inclusive however the all inclusive package is now not the same all inclusive offering as when we booked. I understand the point of if the holiday increases in price we wouldn’t want to pay it etc however the overall holiday offering has changed so of course I do not want to pay a higher cost. 

Basically it’s like if we where going to a lodge in the lakes with a hot tub but we have been notified the hot tub isn’t included anymore and if we want a hot tub (which was included in the first package which we booked) we would have to pay more even though if we booked it now it would be less to reflect lack of hot tub. 

TUI have not offered us any money off nor have they offered a work around so that we get access to what we are going to miss out on. 

Also I note it has been mentioned above about views of Mexico, myself and my partner have visited before and always had our heart set on returning so the location has a sentimental value, it was the first major holiday we went on when we could so we would not want to go somewhere else. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure