Chargeback/Clawback

Options
Hi all,
After raising a chargeback dispute over a holiday disaster, after a long review, my Nationwide Visa Credit Card refunded the claimed amount on 04/12/23, stating the merchant had 30 days to contest the chargeback. After the 30 days I moved the refund into another account.
I then heard nothing until last week 16/02/24, when Nationwide advised the chargeback had been disputed by the merchant and they said the refunded amount would be clawed back and the amount would be charged to my card.
To date, 23/02/24, no clawback has been applied and it is now 81 days since I was refunded the money.
I have read on this site that a 45 day clawback time limit rule applies to all Visa/Mastercard cards from when the refund was made.
Consequently I believe Nationwide cannot clawback this money?
Please can anyone advise on this and direct me to a link where these Visa rules are available to view?

Many thanks, :-)

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February at 11:37AM
    Options
    It depends when the firm disputed the chargeback - NW might be letting you know now but perhaps it was in time?

What was the holiday disaster and why did you not claim on travel insurance? Have you asked NW about a section 75 (assuming it meets the qualifying criteria) if they are reversing the chargeback? 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @born_again is much better at answering this than me but certainly my understanding is the process is a multi-step thing (your bank informs theirs, their bank contacts the merchant, merchant replies, their bank reviews, their bank responds to your bank, your bank reviews, your bank communicates their views etc). The chargeback rules puts time boxes around certain steps, eg the time the merchant has to respond, but not the end to end process and so outcomes can be delayed if there are backlogs etc. 
  • Jaguar95
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all.
    I have already escalated this to a section 75 claim, which is now ongoing.
    My only question is regarding the 45 day clawback time limit that is stated on this site.
    Path: reclaim/visa-mastercard-chargeback/
    If this is the case, then I would like to have a copy of the Visa rules documenting this to send to Nationwide.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Nationwide will know what the rules are and would be able to explain why they are entertaining this if, as it appears on face value, they are doing it outside the 45 days.

You haven't answered why you didn't claim on travel insurance as there is no guarantee that an S75 will work
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nasqueron said:

What was the holiday disaster and why did you not claim on travel insurance? ...
    Because it wasn't a natural disaster beyond the travel company control?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jaguar95 said:
    Thanks for the feedback all.
    I have already escalated this to a section 75 claim, which is now ongoing.
    My only question is regarding the 45 day clawback time limit that is stated on this site.
    Path: reclaim/visa-mastercard-chargeback/
    If this is the case, then I would like to have a copy of the Visa rules documenting this to send to Nationwide.
    That is the time the retailer has to respond to the chargeback. NOT how long Nationwide have to respond to you.

As I said, they are not for public reading. Nationwide know them.

Over covid, despite having exactly the same number of staff, turn round on chargebacks was over 6 months due to the shear number of them.

Given the long review before starting the process. It must be one that is on risky grounds.

If they have actioned a chargeback, they will not look at S75 till they know the outcome of the chargeback.

In reality, nothing you can do to speed it up.  Even a complaint may have the reverse effect as that means another team getting into the mix. As at the end of the day, only the disputes team will be able to deal with this.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    grumbler said:
    Nasqueron said:

What was the holiday disaster and why did you not claim on travel insurance? ...
    We don't know what the disaster could be - could be the place was a building site, could be that the pool was closed, depends what the OP thinks is a disaster :)
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    grumbler said:
    Nasqueron said:

We don't know what the disaster could be - could be the place was a building site, could be that the pool was closed, depends what the OP thinks is a disaster :)
    That was exactly my point - not all 'disasters' are covered by travel insurance.

• Nasqueron
    Options
    grumbler said:
    Nasqueron said:
    grumbler said:
    Nasqueron said:

That was exactly my point - not all 'disasters' are covered by travel insurance.

Sure but my question to the OP was very clear - what was the disaster and why didn't they claim on the insurance - it may assist their question about doing a chargeback. 
  • Jaguar95
    Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback, but I want to keep the topic solely to my original question about reversing chargebacks as stated on this site.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback