Virgin Media Notice period disconnection fee

Options
Hello, my contract with virgin media is ending on the 26th March, so I contacted them via live chat to give them more than a 30 days notice period to end my contract. The agent wanted to charged me an early disconnection fee for ending my contract at the end of my contract because I gave more than a 30 days notice... Is that even legal?

Lawrence: Alright, I understand that. Just so you know, this is the best deal we can give, changing provider can be a bit of hassle sometimes, do you want to continue or shall we leave your package as it is?
Me : yes please cancel it at the end of my contract
Lawrence: Alright, I understand that. Please be advice that you are still within contract and once I process your disconnection right now you will have an early disconnection fee added in your final bill. Is that okay with you?
Me : I never said I wanted a disconnection right now. I said at the end of my contract on the 26th March. This is 30 days notice
Me : disconnect when my contract is over
Lawrence: I understand that, just to let you know that your contract is still more than 30 days that is why you still have an early disconnection fee. Please be advice to contact us back after a few days so that the early disconnection fee would be waive.
Lawrence: What do you think?
Me : That makes no sense at all, Im giving you more than a 30 days notice, 30 days is the minimum
Lawrence: Yes, I understand that. But once I process your disconnection right now you will still have an early disconnection fee. That is why I advice to contact us back after a few days so that the 30 days notice will be matching with your contract. What do you think?
Me: On what day shall I contact you then?
Lawrence: You can contact us back after 5 to 6 days. So that we can property match the disconnection process for 30 days notice. Is that okay?
Me : Please tell me the exact day I have to contact you for a 30 day notice
Lawrence: Your contract will last for 1 month and 5 days. All clear so far?
Me : You tell me I cannot tell you now, so tell me the date
Me : I have to give you the 30 day notice
Lawrence: Alright, I understand that. You can contact us back on the 25/02/2024 so that we can properly process your disconnection. What do you think?
Lawrence: Shall we continue with the disconnection of the account?
Me : No, I'll contact you back on the 25/02

Comments

• Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 991 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the same with Virgin Media with my aunt and uncle.     I just played their little game and cancelled it when they requested.  Needless to say I wouldn't ever go back with them.      

They have installed the cable down our street and I keep getting their salesman round trying to sell it.   In 31 years of paying for internet access Virgin were by far the worse.  I've not really had much problems with anyone else.
  • AlanM
    AlanM Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went a couple of days over and was charged for the extra days on a pro rata basis.

They’re now trying to charge me £40 for their router but they never sent me the promised return kit. They can whistle for the money as I’ve cancelled their DD. 

They said they are getting one of their local engineers to call round for it at some point, no idea if anyone will be in. If they’d sent me a box or a bag to post it, like they promised,  they’d have had it by now. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback