We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

attendance allowance

Options
One crucial thing Martin omitted to mention the other night about applying for AA was not to be put off by the length and complexity of the application form. I've known pensioners who, although they would doubtless qualify, are deterred as soon as they see the form.

Comments

• Bea63
    Bea63 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AlecSmart said:
    One crucial thing Martin omitted to mention the other night about applying for AA was not to be put off by the length and complexity of the application form. I've known pensioners who, although they would doubtless qualify, are deterred as soon as they see the form.
    Agree Alec, I've had the postal 'package' over a year and its so daunting to complete and as yet, have not done so  :(
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bea63 said:
    AlecSmart said:
    Agree Alec, I've had the postal 'package' over a year and its so daunting to complete and as yet, have not done so 
             Why not see if your local advice charity or Age UK can help you?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/claiming-attendance-allowance/help-with-attendance-allowance-form/

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/bp-assets/globalassets/torbay/original-blocks/our-services/ia/guide-on-how-to-complete-attendace-allowance-forms.pdf

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Horki
    Horki Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bea63 said:
    Agree Alec, I've had the postal 'package' over a year and its so daunting to complete and as yet, have not done so  :(
    Bea63 I delayed and could have got my payments seven months earlier; money that I missed out on. Remember you can always challenge any decision too. I scanned the paper application form, missed the deadline and then applied to complete the form online with a 90 minute time allowance.  It's a pdf so I typed out all my answers ready to copy and post them.  The Age UK advice was the best and most comprehensive for me. The online form is slightly different to the paper one; there are word limits for some replies. That completely threw me as there was no Q44 or Q61 to add explanations either. But the response and first payment was in my bank in just over a week!  Hope this helps. 
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AlecSmart said:
    I am fortunately not daunted by any forms so didn’t have any problem with the AA form.  We live in sheltered housing where there are 33 pensioners in their own flats with communal areas/facilities and a house manager.  They are aged from 60 ish - 97.  I have helped a number of them successfully apply for AA.  

Sadly, according to official government statistics, ~ 58% of applicants are turned down for AA.  I think that is appalling especially, as others have said, they would qualify.  

The most common reason for applicants being rejected is not putting down specific issues or symptoms. Often, people applying for Attendance Allowance won't say exactly how significant their condition is or the effect it has on their day-to-day life. 

Unfortunately it's not just the form that can put people off.  Many have “embarrassing problems” which they don’t want to talk about.  Some think there is a stigma attached to getting benefits which is a shame especially as the government makes it clear that AA is to improve the quality of life,  it just to pay for carers.  Some use it to pay for taxis to get to the GP surgery or hospital.  Some think it may affect their Pension Credit or Housing Benefit which it doesn’t.  Getting AA may actually increase the amount you get.  

So if anyone knows anyone who is struggling with the application there is help out there.  

Some Citizens Advice offices are helping people on the phone rather than an in office one to one.  This means more people can be helped.  
  • Danien
    Danien Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also many older people come from a culture of not complaining and making do. It can be very stressful and upsetting to put all your health issues down on a form to be read by strangers and in some instances can upset the claimant because it makes them face all the health issues they have all at once. Completing a claim firm with someone who has never had to do it before can often involve tears, as people don't generally sit down and think about all of their health issues and difficulties in the space of an hour. It can lead to feelings of vulnerability, helplessness and sadness. I would always warn someone before completing a PIP/AA/DLA/ESA50 form for the first that it can be a difficult process to confront everything all at once.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Danien said:
    Also many older people come from a culture of not complaining and making do. It can be very stressful and upsetting to put all your health issues down on a form to be read by strangers and in some instances can upset the claimant because it makes them face all the health issues they have all at once. Completing a claim firm with someone who has never had to do it before can often involve tears, as people don't generally sit down and think about all of their health issues and difficulties in the space of an hour. It can lead to feelings of vulnerability, helplessness and sadness. I would always warn someone before completing a PIP/AA/DLA/ESA50 form for the first that it can be a difficult process to confront everything all at once.
    Well said.  As I said I’ve helped a few people successfully get AA and I understand many of the health issues, particularly the embarrassing ones as I have a couple of those myself.  It has helped them knowing they are not alone 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure