14 day cooling period

Options
Hi, I am currently a customer with Shell Broadband (soon to be Octopus) i recently upgraded to 100 Fibre FTTP. i carried out upgrade on phone with Shell 06.02.2024, was told in email 14 day cooling off period commenced 07.02.2024, Openreach installed fibre into our bedroom 20.02.2024 and made system live. because we weren't happy with kit in bedroom we decided to cancel, sent email to Shell on 20.02.2024 stating wishing to cancel, on calling Shell 21.02.2024 was told couldn't cancel as system had gone live and contract was in place , even though i was inside 14 day period. I have now been told that in order to have fibre moved we have to pay £71.00 per hour to get the work done.

Is there anywhere to say the 14 day is binding and they are wrong, or am i just going to have to pay?

Any advise would be appreciated 

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    What does moving the fibre point have to do with cancellation?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February at 5:03PM
    Options
    Why did you agree to having the ONT  fitted in a bedroom and then decide it’s not in an acceptable location ? 
    As far as the cooling off period , it’s not a try before you buy arrangement, it’s designed to allow a customer that may feel they were  pressured by a salesperson to ‘sign up’ , and after  the salesperson has ‘gone’ the customer reflects  and decides they are not happy to continue, because the salesperson ‘bullied’ the customer into taking the product or  service ,  the option to cancel  during a cooling off period is for that type of circumstances , your situation is obviously nothing like that .

Frankly if you didn’t want the ONT  the bedroom you shouldn’t have agreed to it , one thing is for certain, the Openreach tech didn’t hold a gun to your head and fit it there against your will ,  even if it were the installers preferred location, ultimately if you said ‘not there’ and a different location couldn’t be agreed, the OR tech would  have simply left and you then you could have cancelled before the work was done .
    TBH , if you have buyers remorse, that’s not your ISP problem, the router can be upto 100 metres away from the ONT , if you wanted , you could buy a longer Ethernet cable and place the router in a different room to the ONT , obviously either hiding this cable or making it safe from tripping over etc, would  be your problem.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cpk5364 said:
    Hi, I am currently a customer with Shell Broadband (soon to be Octopus) i recently upgraded to 100 Fibre FTTP. i carried out upgrade on phone with Shell 06.02.2024, was told in email 14 day cooling off period commenced 07.02.2024, Openreach installed fibre into our bedroom 20.02.2024 and made system live. because we weren't happy with kit in bedroom we decided to cancel, sent email to Shell on 20.02.2024 stating wishing to cancel, on calling Shell 21.02.2024 was told couldn't cancel as system had gone live and contract was in place , even though i was inside 14 day period. I have now been told that in order to have fibre moved we have to pay £71.00 per hour to get the work done.

Is there anywhere to say the 14 day is binding and they are wrong, or am i just going to have to pay?

Any advise would be appreciated 

Cooling off is only in the 14 days before it goes live.  Doesn't apply if you past that point and then decide you don't like it after you've had it installed...

Perhaps you should have thought better about having it installed in the bedroom in the first place...  As above not provider's problem you now have effective buyer;s remorse.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback