I think my vet has been negligent. Any advice? (dog given Nexguard flea treatment)

Options
edwardsl1985
edwardsl1985 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 February at 2:10PM in Pets & pet care
I have a 2 year old whippet and all his life he has been having episodes of nausea, vomiting (bile normally), loss of appetite, diarrhoea. Also other odd symptoms his behaviour has changed lately, now becoming a bit dominant around other dogs, also he itches and sometimes trembles when lying on the sofa.

The episodes last a few days and normally self resolve. I have been to the vets several times and each time they say there is nothing obviously wrong and always try and send him in for expensive tests or prescribe extra medications.

i have tried every type of expensive food and probiotics and any change in diet seems to work for a bit then he reverts back. Having done my own research all his symptoms are well known side effects of Nexguard worm treatment. I said this to my vet and she had to look up the side effects.

I am medically trained and a prescriber for humans so have some reasonable understanding. It is common practice to review medications when assessing and minimise extra medicines and invasive tests wherever possible. 

Although it is going to take a few months of using a different medication to see if this is the cause, however reading various articles, forums and journals I am convinced this is the cause. I have lodged a complaint with the surgery.

My question, Is this negligence?

In medicine prescribing a medicine without the full knowledge of the drug, its interactions and side effects would be. So would prescribing a medication and not explaining risks and giving the patient full informed consent. When reviewing a patient and not completing a thorough medication review and trying an alternative medicine would be. 

Wonder if any pet owners have had similar experiences? Any vets on here that can give me your perspective?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What outcome do you want out of this?

In the eyes of the law a dog is chattel, or property, and so there is no claim for pain, suffering and loss of amenities just as you couldn't sue DFS for the pain your sofa suffered when its leg broke off. 

If there is negligence you'd be looking at what your financial losses were as a direct consequence of the negligence. 

Not being a dog owner... presumably it's this vet that prescribes the Nexgard flea treatment? a google suggests its prescription only but presumably there are places it can be bought without. 

Really need to first confirm this is the cause of the problem before looking for the big bucks. 
  • edwardsl1985
    Options
    Haha I like the DFS analogy. Poor sofa 

I’m not particularly bothered about financial restitution. I may argue the last round of tests should be refunded but no I’m not after some big pay day. 

But the more I read up on the nexgard it seems so obvious and they should know what they are prescribing and its side effects. I want the practice to recognise this and if it is proven to be the drug they need to investigate if it’s caused adverse events in other dogs 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,974 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Negligence would be prescribing Nexguard again without having looked into whether your suspicions are potnetially correct and not considering whether there are alternatives that could be tried. If the vet has medical notes that confirm that they have considered whether the symptoms could be side effects from Nexguard and that there are no alternatives, and they have discussed this with you and you haven't said you wouldn't administer Nexguard again, they they wouldn't be negligent in prescribing Nexguard again. It's about them taking the reasonable steps that their Royal College would expect them to have taken.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 22 February at 8:19PM
    Options
    I have a 2 year old whippet and all his life he has been having episodes of nausea, vomiting (bile normally), loss of appetite, diarrhoea. Also other odd symptoms his behaviour has changed lately, now becoming a bit dominant around other dogs, also he itches and sometimes trembles when lying on the sofa.

The episodes last a few days and normally self resolve. I have been to the vets several times and each time they say there is nothing obviously wrong and always try and send him in for expensive tests or prescribe extra medications.

i have tried every type of expensive food and probiotics and any change in diet seems to work for a bit then he reverts back. Having done my own research all his symptoms are well known side effects of Nexguard worm treatment. I said this to my vet and she had to look up the side effects.

I am medically trained and a prescriber for humans so have some reasonable understanding. It is common practice to review medications when assessing and minimise extra medicines and invasive tests wherever possible. 

Although it is going to take a few months of using a different medication to see if this is the cause, however reading various articles, forums and journals I am convinced this is the cause. I have lodged a complaint with the surgery.

In medicine prescribing a medicine without the full knowledge of the drug, its interactions and side effects would be. So would prescribing a medication and not explaining risks and giving the patient full informed consent. When reviewing a patient and not completing a thorough medication review and trying an alternative medicine would be. 

Wonder if any pet owners have had similar experiences? Any vets on here that can give me your perspective?
    Simparica Trio is another flea and worming tablet .
    Being dominant could be down to him now being a adult dog.
    Is he nurted? How is he showing his domince?
    Itching could be a yeast infection.
    Changing a dogs diet can cause diarrhoea if it's not done gradually 
    Is he sleeping when he trembles?

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a  medically trained and a prescriber for humans  did you not check out what your  dog had been prescribed?

I am not medically trained but do check medicines that i am prescribed and that my dogs are prescribed.

Do you need to use flea treatment regularly? 
    I only have used it twice in over 50 years of dog ownership. I only treat when I see signs of fleas. otherwise I do not use any.

I would be wary of using another treatment if he is still showing symptoms .

I knew someone whose dog suffered seizures for a year after one treatment of  Frontline,  which is widely used. 

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All medications will have adverse effects on some of the dogs they are being prescribed for - the same as in humans, as you will be aware. It doesn’t mean that it never gets prescribed, or that it is negligence when it is prescribed and it obviously causes side-effects.
    You claim the vet has been negligent, but you haven’t said what the outcome was of you, raising your belief that it was the flea treatment caused the symptoms? Or how often he’s actually had the worm treatment. 

Much too big a leap as things to stand. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 35har1old
    Options
    sheramber said:
    As a  medically trained and a prescriber for humans  did you not check out what your  dog had been prescribed?

I am not medically trained but do check medicines that i am prescribed and that my dogs are prescribed.

I only have used it twice in over 50 years of dog ownership. I only treat when I see signs of fleas. otherwise I do not use any.

I knew someone whose dog suffered seizures for a year after one treatment of  Frontline,  which is widely used. 

You seem to concentrate on flea treatment edwardsl1985 said:

Is this Nexguard Spectra?
  • sheramber
    Options
    35har1old said:
    sheramber said:

You seem to concentrate on fleas  treatment edwardsl1985 said:

You seem to concentrate on fleas  treatment 
    Because Next guard is a flea treatment
  • 35har1old
    Options
    sheramber said:
    35har1old said:
    sheramber said:

You seem to concentrate on fleas  treatment edwardsl1985 said:

You seem to concentrate on fleas  treatment 
    Because Next guard is a flea treatment
    Next guard Spetra is a combined treatment for flea and worms
  • sheramber
    Options
    35har1old said:
    sheramber said:
    35har1old said:

Next guard Spetra is a combined treatment for flea and worms
    Would it make you feel better IF i said fleas and worms then?

I do not treat for either inless I see signs of  them.  As I picj k up after my dog I would see any worms.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback