Should I pay off my full balance?

Options
I could pay off my credit card balance from my savings and then pay myself back at the same rate, finishing six months earlier, thus saving me £600 if making a £100 monthly payment.

Obviously there are going to be drawbacks, too:

-  It will reduce my savings and, if I continue to use my credit card, it will mean making two payments each month. 

- It won't actually lower my monthly payments.  I take paying myself back very seriously.

- Without increasing my limit, I don't have enough to cover emergencies. If I pay it off in full I will have the card for emergencies but then see the first point above.

-  Paying it off in full will take approximately 12% of my savings, so I would have enough for emergencies - but I've recently halved my salary and my son currently needs some financial support.

I'm tying myself up in knots, really.  Any thoughts welcome. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have savings and paying interest on a credit card balance it makes sense to pay that off and stop paying out an excess amount. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 February at 4:50PM
    Options
    Cherryp1e said:
    I could pay off my credit card balance from my savings and then pay myself back at the same rate, finishing six months earlier, thus saving me £600 if making a £100 monthly payment.

-  It will reduce my savings and, if I continue to use my credit card, it will mean making two payments each month. 

- It won't actually lower my monthly payments.  I take paying myself back very seriously.

- Without increasing my limit, I don't have enough to cover emergencies. If I pay it off in full I will have the card for emergencies but then see the first point above.

-  Paying it off in full will take approximately 12% of my savings, so I would have enough for emergencies - but I've recently halved my salary and my son currently needs some financial support.

Not sure I understand the options you consider.
    MSE article: 
    Pay off debts or save? Max your cash - MoneySavingExpert
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paying interest on your credit card to maintain an emergency find that may or may not be needed makes no sense.  You are effectively borrowing money at a high interest rate to stick in savings.  Clear the card and replenish your savings.  Use it again if you have an unforeseen expense in the meantime.  You can use what you have saved in interest to boost your savings.   
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paying interest on borrowing at >20% and receiving interest on savings of likely <5% makes no financial sense.  Your debt is only a small proportion of your savings so paying it off and repaying your savings makes most sense.  I do hope you are not spending on this card with an outstanding balance, that is really nonsensical !
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cherryp1e said:

If you are paying interest on your credit card it makes no sense to have the money in a savings account paying a lower interest rate instead of paying off the card.  It is always cheaper to borrow your own money. 

I don't really understand your comment about paying yourself back? I assume you mean replenishing your savings but that indicates you think that is more important than clearing your debt on your credit card.  Even if you do not consider that important it is most definitely more expensive.

The question of an EF when you have debt depends really on rates and the likelihood of you needing said EF in the forseeable future. What rate are you paying on your credit card? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherryp1e said:

If you are paying interest on your credit card it makes no sense to have the money in a savings account paying a lower interest rate instead of paying off the card.  It is always cheaper to borrow your own money. 

I don't really understand your comment about paying yourself back? I assume you mean replenishing your savings but that indicates you think that is more important than clearing your debt on your credit card.  Even if you do not consider that important it is most definitely more expensive.

The question of an EF when you have debt depends really on rates and the likelihood of you needing said EF in the forseeable future. What rate are you paying on your credit card? 
    I think the OP means that if (for simplicity's sake) they had £6000 of debt and were paying £500 a month - they would pay the £6000 from savings and "repay" themselves by putting the £500 a month back into the savings so over 12 months they would replenish the savings
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Cherryp1e said:

I think the OP means that if (for simplicity's sake) they had £6000 of debt and were paying £500 a month - they would pay the £6000 from savings and "repay" themselves by putting the £500 a month back into the savings so over 12 months they would replenish the savings
    If that is what they meant then that makes sense. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherryp1e said:

Saving £600.
    What's not to love?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport