Sky - Basic TV and recordings

Options
Hi, if you have a Sky Dish - can you leave remove the entertainment package so you just get the free channels and still watch recordings on your box ( I have a sky+ box )?
Thanks

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    If you stop subscribing to Sky then, no you can't
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Hi, if you have a Sky Dish - can you leave remove the entertainment package so you just get the free channels and still watch recordings on your box ( I have a sky+ box )?
    Thanks

If you have the older Sky+ box (not Q), then it still works as a receiver for free channels, but you can no longer record or access your recordings.

This is what we've done.

I'd happily pay them a small subscription to be able to still use the record function, but I don't think they offer this. ☹️

I miss skipping the ads on Channel 5, as My5 is choc full of them 😡
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    DE_612183 said:
    Thanks

If you have the older Sky+ box (not Q), then it still works as a receiver for free channels, but you can no longer record or access your recordings.

This is what we've done.

I'd happily pay them a small subscription to be able to still use the record function, but I don't think they offer this. ☹️

I miss skipping the ads on Channel 5, as My5 is choc full of them 😡
    They certainly used to do that (for a very minor fee from memory) but you'd have to contact them to check if it's still possible.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Thanks
    You can buy yourself a recordable Freesat box or a Freeview box that uses an aerial rather than the dish.
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Thanks
    Sky apparently offer "TV essentials" - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-essentials to Sky Q customers, but I think I've heard of them offering the equivalent to Sky+ customers in the past. No price shown on that page, but I've heard as high as £15/month but also some people getting it for £5 or £10 per month.
  • propertyhunter
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Thanks
    Sky apparently offer "TV essentials" - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-essentials to Sky Q customers, but I think I've heard of them offering the equivalent to Sky+ customers in the past. No price shown on that page, but I've heard as high as £15/month but also some people getting it for £5 or £10 per month.
    Does anyone know how to get it down to £5-10 per month? I've cancelled with them, but still in the period where I have 2 months to return the equipment. At no point did anyone offer a reduction on the £15, but I'm keen to get one and use the box to record programmes and access my apps (iPlayer and Apple TV). I really like the user interface of Sky+, hence I want to keep it.
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    Does anyone know how to get it down to £5-10 per month? I've cancelled with them, but still in the period where I have 2 months to return the equipment. At no point did anyone offer a reduction on the £15, but I'm keen to get one and use the box to record programmes and access my apps (iPlayer and Apple TV). I really like the user interface of Sky+, hence I want to keep it.

Not sure why you say "in the period where I have 2 months to return the equipment" but also  "I really like the user interface of Sky+". If you have Sky+ you don't have to return the equipment.
  • propertyhunter
    Options
    Sorry I mean Sky Q. I have the Sky Q box, which does need returning. 
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    Sorry I mean Sky Q. I have the Sky Q box, which does need returning. 
    Ah, that makes sense. Have they sent the packaging for you to send the Sky Q back in yet? Apparently sometimes that has a leaflet with it with a number to call, where you might be able to negotiate TV essentials for less than £15/month.
    Alternatively maybe try and fight through the Sky Virtual assistant to see if you can message with a person about getting TV essentials for a better price. But you might have to click 'No' to lots of unhelpful suggestions before you can message with a person, and I guess you need to do it during working hours, ideally in the morning.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback