We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is a visa required to enter the US?

Options
I wanted to check if I need a visa or anything before flying to the US. I recall that UK citizens didn't need a visa to enter the US and it was granted on arrival. Has this changed? or did I imagine it?

I'm flying via the US to Ecuador in a few days (I'm quite sure I don't need a visa for this as I'll be on transit), but I was planning to stay for a couple of weeks in the US on the way back. Do I need to rush to the US embassy in Ecuador to get a visa? (I hope not!)

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 February at 7:09PM
    Options
    You'll need an ESTA for transit.
    Make sure you only apply via the official US government website.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's a visa waiver scheme, ESTA, that allows you to enter the USA without a visa, but you definitely need one or the other, even if just transiting....

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 February at 7:12PM
    Options
    You need an ESTA, you can't fly to the US from the UK without one. You won't even be allowed to board the plane without a valid ESTA

Hurry up and get it done urgently https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Not sure about Ecuador to US though

Read my thread about what happened last year when we were at Heathrow ready to depart to Orlando https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6449105/esta-cautionary-tale#latest

ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    Options
    "Not sure about Ecuador to US though"
    Presumably the ESTA will be valid for that flight as well as the temporary transit ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "Not sure about Ecuador to US though"
    Presumably the ESTA will be valid for that flight as well as the temporary transit ?
    Indeed, a valid ESTA allows two years worth of entry into the USA and isn't associated with a specific flight.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,996 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 February at 7:33PM
    Options
    As stated you need an ESTA (Visa Waiver) as a minimum, even for just transiting by air. If you don't qualify for an ESTA you need a visa which you would have no chance of getting in days.
  • augusto
    augusto Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks a million folks! Wow, I'm usually very, very careful with visa requirements. This was a last moment trip and I was confident visas were granted on arrival on the US.

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no such thing as 'transit' in the US.   All arrivals need the correct paperwork whether staying for a month or a couple of hours between flights,
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 435 Forumite
    edited 20 February at 8:00PM
    Options
    Do it now.  It’s not unusual for cpb to take 24hrs to confirm your esta application.  I applied an hour ago and travel Friday
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 February at 8:33PM
    Options
    Also, be aware that an ESTA only allows you to fly to the USA, it doesn’t guarantee you entry when you arrive. Of course, the vast majority are permitted entry but it’s not guaranteed.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business