Widows parents allowance/bereavement benefit deadline

Options
I posted a while ago about the change to this benefit for unmarried people living as a couple. 
I live in France, my partner died in 2009,  and was put off applying as it seemed to imply in all the info you must be entitled to child benefits ( normally only for people living in the uk)
so I know I have missed the deadline for backdating But I noticed recently in the info at MSE that one can apply if you live in a country that pays bereavement benefits. I followed that link and France is one of those countries. 
So I’m going to apply and ask for backdating as far as possible. My question to you is when did the information change on this website to include those living in “ other countries that pays bereavement benefits “
or did I just miss that ??
 Thanks  

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    turnblad said:
    I posted a while ago about the change to this benefit for unmarried people living as a couple. 
    I live in France, my partner died in 2009,  and was put off applying as it seemed to imply in all the info you must be entitled to child benefits ( normally only for people living in the uk)
    so I know I have missed the deadline for backdating But I noticed recently in the info at MSE that one can apply if you live in a country that pays bereavement benefits. I followed that link and France is one of those countries. 
    So I’m going to apply and ask for backdating as far as possible. My question to you is when did the information change on this website to include those living in “ other countries that pays bereavement benefits “
    or did I just miss that ??
     Thanks  
    Did you contact  the Department advised here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6432534/widows-parents-allowance-changes#latest
  • turnblad
    turnblad Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No I didn’t unfortunately. Just felt living abroad would exclude me. As all the literature referred to living in the uk. I will but I know I’ve missed the deadline now. Thanks anyway 
  • A12345678910
    Options
    Hello, 

My partner had just taken a new job in London, coming home at weekends. Will this be a problem? He died in 2012 and I've moved house since then, didn't keep paperwork etc. 

Any advice is very welcome 😁

Thanks 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, 

My partner had just taken a new job in London, coming home at weekends. Will this be a problem? He died in 2012 and I've moved house since then, didn't keep paperwork etc. 

Any advice is very welcome 😁

Thanks 

As long as you lived in UK and were still regarded as living as if married.

You need his National Insurance number to claim.
  • A12345678910
    Options
    Thanks a million. Can't find his NI no so just looking up how i find it now. 😁 Praying the benefit goes through. Fair play to whoever petitioned for changes in the Law. It was bad enough being bereaved but then to find out that you were seen as somehow less deserving because you weren't married was quite degrading at the time. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback