Widows parents allowance changes

Hi there,
This is a long shot but I would like your thoughts please……
there have been some changes recently to the WPA. Now If your partner( unmarried) died and was the parent of your child you are able to claim benefit. It is based on how much NI they paid before their death and you must be in receipt of Child benefit. 
My partner died in 2009, when my daughter was 3. I am in receipt of child benefit.
 My question is…..
i live in France. My child benefit is from the French government. My partner didn’t pay into the French system here, he paid NI in the UK. 
I wonder if I have a case to claim. We are British citizens. 
Thanks for your thoughts / ideas. 


  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    29.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Being a British citizen doesn't come into it. One of the requirements is you are entitled to child benefit
    you’re entitled to Child Benefit for at least one child
    To qualify for child benefit
    You normally qualify for Child Benefit if you’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training) and you live in the UK.

    So it looks like a no.

  • turnbladturnblad Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Well it was a long shot….thanks. 
  • turnbladturnblad Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Although I would counter that by saying that the whole idea about the criteria for receipt of child benefit is to prove  responsibility for that child rather than residency in the uk. And  I have had sole responsibility. The idea behind WPA is to support grieving children. 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    16K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    If you live abroad  

    Contact the International Pension Centre to find out if you can claim if you’ve moved abroad.  
    International Pension Centre 
    Telephone: +44 191 21 87608 
    Department for Work and Pensions 
    Bereavement and widows’ benefits 
    International Pension Centre 
    Tyneview Park 
    NE98 1BA 
    You must include your: 
    • full name 
    • date of birth 
    • National Insurance number (if you know it)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools