small android g5 vs new alcatel

Options
tiger135
tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
my old moto g5 is struggling , storage used up, slightly slow.
A similar size android is the alcatel 1 selling new in the shops. 
However, despite the moto being 6/7 years old it still beats the alcatel! 
https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/alcatel_1_2021_vs_motorola_moto_g5-cpd1wr7uf6a4_11018e8vijb.php

Comments

• tiger135
    Options
    its not just the alcatel, i just compared with a nokia c02 which costs more than the alcatel and the moto beats it!

https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/nokia_c02_vs_motorola_moto_g5-cpd13t00cxks_11018e8vijb.php
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My dad had this phone and would happily have kept it longer had it not been for the battery expanding. He struggled to find anything small and ended up having to compromise and have a larger phone because he needed another quickly and it was in stock at his local Argos.

Unfortunately he broke the screen though he had been largely happy with the Moto G9 Play overall, the complaints being the size and that there were issues with the screen sensitivity. He then went back to Nokia, as that was a brand he had been happy with in the past. He quickly regarded it as the worst phone he'd ever had and when someone he works with spoke of AirTags, he decided they might be useful and he might as well spend a bit more and pick up the SE, as the Nokia had been a false economy. The greater customisation options and the better battery life of the larger phones are the only things he misses having left Android.

I recently looked for an upgrade myself and came to the conclusion that a small phone meant premium nowadays, unless you're happy to go back to a non-smart. I picked up the Samsung S22, a 2 year old flagship. As predicted the battery is the major downside, but better to be disappointed with this having saved a lot of cash in the process than to have bought it brand new and still be disappointed (looking at reviews, people did and were.) In all other regards, I love the phone and the screen is better than that of my iPad.

Hopefully the upcoming rules on batteries needing to be user replaceable will be good news for those of us who like smaller phones.

Mum now wants a phone and has decided she doesn't want anything larger than my S22, so struggling for ideas for her. 
  • tiger135
    Options
    Kim, wonderful reply, thank you. 
    I'll look into the S series,like the size of the new ones s23/24. Were they always this size? Can I go back further to S20/S21? 
    I looked at a friends SE and while the apple OS looks ok, the phone is very slippery in your hand, feels solid but I'd worry about dropping it and chipping the glass.
    I remember having older moto g and lg phones where I never worried about dropping as it was just plastic.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The S22/S23/S24 are of a similar size, I just preferred the older S21/S22 design. The S23 colour options were a no for me and the S24's so called Cobalt Violet was more blue. I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it enough to pay current flagship prices and the cost of insurance that would be a must if I was to pay that much for a phone.

The S21 was marginally bigger, I considered it myself but having seen one in person, I decided I didn't like the plastic back (possibly an advantage depending on your preference, and the battery is also 300mAh bigger than the S22's.) There are also FE versions of each handset, but they seem to be bigger than the original.

Dad bought the Accidental Damage AppleCare+ coverage with his SE, having broken the Motorola. He isn't usually one for extended warranties and such, but it's very reasonably priced compared to other insurances that would guarantee a speedy replacement (£5 a month if you pay for 2 years upfront and less than that if you only want damage coverage.)
  • tiger135
    Options
    Thats great I think I'll for for a S21 or S22 refurbished. 
    Got to be better than a new nokia or motorola, which are too big for a start! 
    Thanks

• liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would the Sony Xperia 5 ii and number increments be any good it's a mid range but more higher up in that the Xperia 5 ii was like 5.2 inches was pretty small compared to others still had the hard phone jack and micro SD card I think the Xperia 5 4 would be cheaper now the 5 5 I think is out also I think it's the zenfone 6 or 7 was rated the smallest android could also look at the pixel A range aswell
  • tiger135
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I think my only options are zenfone 6,7,8. google pixel 5,6a,7 but find it a bit square looking. iphone 12 mini looks good also. Or samsung s series. All the a series look a bit big. 
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Google Pixel 7A  6.1 inches screen
  • tiger135
    Options
    I had a quick look in cex android selection and a model I wasnt aware of was the samsung a40 its a nice small size like the new S series but is a good price  £135 as its a few years old but a better spec than the moto g5. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback