How much water does a pressure washer use, and the impact on water meter bill

Options
peewhyeff
peewhyeff Posts: 1,190 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
I am considering changing over to a water meter. I have used the CCW template to assess usage but as I do maybe 15-20 hrs a year using the pressure washer (lots of hard-standing,loong paths and long flagged drive) I cannot find a way to estimate this. If I add '20 hours hose-pipe' it's astronomical........has anyone ever checked their water meter reading before and after, or maybe about to?  Any suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What model of pressure washer do you have? The water consumption should be listed in the specifications.

A pressure washer won't use anything like the equivalent of 20 hours of hose pipe flow.
  • peewhyeff
    Options
    It's a Titan.... all the booklet tells me is max rated flow 7.2 litres per minute.......but that sounds way too much also.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Karcher K2 Pressure washer says it has a max flow rate of 360 Litres per hour, so 6 litres per minute.

Try turning on your pressure washer and fill up a bucket for 1 minute and see how much water you end up with in the bucket. When you see how little it is then it will become clearer.

3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• peewhyeff
    Options
    Merlin139 said:
    My Karcher K2 Pressure washer says it has a max flow rate of 360 Litres per hour, so 6 litres per minute.

Try turning on your pressure washer and fill up a bucket for 1 minute and see how much water you end up with in the bucket. When you see how little it is then it will become clearer.

That sounds like a good idea.......when I next get it out I'll let you know.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect you are overthinking this. At that flow rate, even if on max for 20 hours, you would use 8,640 litres, or 8.64 cu m. On my tariff (TW) that would cost about £19.74 for usage and disposal charges.
    For the average user, the annual saving on metered billing vs RV billing is much greater than £20. 
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • peewhyeff
    Options
    macman said:
    I suspect you are overthinking this. At that flow rate, even if on max for 20 hours, you would use 8,640 litres, or 8.64 cu m. On my tariff (TW) that would cost about £19.74 for usage and disposal charges.
    For the average user, the annual saving on metered billing vs RV billing is much greater than £20. 
    Thanks for explaining that. 8000+ litres sounds like an awful lot of water but cost-wise maybe it's not too bad. A water meter is sounding more attractive financially.
  • peewhyeff
    Options
    Water meter fitted 15th March (was only a 2 week wait for a site visit/fitted on the day). Fitter said he had 25 to do that day.  Does make you wonder if so many electing to have a meter resulting in less revenue for WaterCompanies, whether at some point they will move the goalposts and hike-up their other charges.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback