1235»

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bradden said:
    London49 said:

So I opened 6 Barclays basic accounts to do some matched betting I wanted a different account for each bet just so I knew what I was making. Would this be the reason for the marker ?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the OP indicated they opened multiple "basic" accounts. I thought there was a restriction of having multiple basic accounts which may have caused the issue.
    Many people think that a normal bank account is a basic one. Rather than a basic one is when it is the only facility banks will allow you under the regulations.

pretty sure you can only have one basic account. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bradden said:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the OP indicated they opened multiple "basic" accounts. I thought there was a restriction of having multiple basic accounts which may have caused the issue.
    That sounds rather odd - to allow a customer to open 6 basic bank accounts and then put a CIFAS marker for doing this!
  • RR10CFC
    RR10CFC Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi All 

I am in the exact same position as OP, also with Barclays and CIFAS raised for the same 'misuse' the accounts I held (3) were all used for betting only to keep separate from my main bank. The reason for having 3 was also matched betting and the benefits of 3 debit cards for withdrawal speed etc. 

Barclays also refused to remove through my direct complaint. 

I was however advised that the complaint was external from a betting firm - not divulging which. Barclays then conducted a review and raised a CIFAS marker and are satisfied this is just. 

Whilst I obviously do not agree with this and will pursue through FOS, I can see why this may have been raised as we are technically 'advantage playing' covering all outcomes with different books / exchanges to make guranteed profit and therein exploiting free bets. Financial gains made are immaterial in comparison with the repurcussion of a 6 year fraud marker. Myself and OP are the only 2 matches bettors I have ever heard of punished in this way. Can bookmakers having their T&Cs stretched really constitute in a fraud marker? I am in shock. 

Some really great advice on here, I hope to establish who the bookmaker(s) are and lodge SAR with them. 

OP I just felt I would let you know you are not alone and if you want to please feel free to reach out. It would be great to hear how your process is moving along as you are a few months ahead of me. Good luck. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback