Cifas marker help

Options

Good afternoon ,

I was made aware I had a cifas marker placed on me a month back by Barclays I got my subject access returned data form back and the reason I’ve got one placed is Misuse of facility the case type is falsely reporting a loss and the role within case is falsely disclaiming transaction.

So I opened 6 Barclays basic accounts to do some matched betting I wanted a different account for each bet just so I knew what I was making. Would this be the reason for the marker ?

The only loss I’ve ever reported with them is when I lost my wallet with all the cards in

I’ve appealed the marker which I found out over the phone today I have lost the appeal.

Is there anything else I can do would the marker be on there for the Betting?

I’ve currently lost my main bank account and have no way off wages coming in ect I’ve got 60 days to sort it before my main account is completely gone

Could some one advise me the next step to take please

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If CIFAS have told you that "the reason I’ve got one placed is Misuse of facility the case type is falsely reporting a loss and the role within case is falsely disclaiming transaction" then that's nothing to do with opening lots of accounts, and it would have been easy enough for Barclays to decline applications, or simply close them, without it being a CIFAS matter.

If you advised a lost wallet with all the cards, were there any transactions around the same time, that were then refunded?  It would appear that they believe that you falsely claimed that some transactions were after the loss, i.e. they believe the cards were still within your possession at the time?  Were you aware of any transactions being carried out immediately after the loss (or maybe "loss" according to Barclays)?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Misuse of facility is typically when you open an account with the intent to use it to defraud someone else or commit some other illegal activity. 

Did you ask Barclays what activity they are accusing you of? Its certainly highly unusual to open 6 new accounts at the same time as a personal customer so not surprise that its looked into but it alone wouldn't be sufficient reason to say its to commit fraud. 
  • London49
    London49 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I reported the lost cards separately on there app wouldn’t let do them as one lot, but I put the same time date location on all of them. 

Theres been no other transactions on my accounts other then the ones I’ve made. 

Barclays aren’t telling me anything 
  • London49
    First Post
    Options
    Misuse of facility is typically when you open an account with the intent to use it to defraud someone else or commit some other illegal activity. 

Did you ask Barclays what activity they are accusing you of? Its certainly highly unusual to open 6 new accounts at the same time as a personal customer so not surprise that its looked into but it alone wouldn't be sufficient reason to say its to commit fraud. 
    I opened two a month from October 

I did but they just told me to look at the cifas report 
  • eskbanker
    Options
    London49 said:

I’ve appealed the marker which I found out over the phone today I have lost the appeal.

Was this via Barclays or CIFAS?
  • London49
    First Post
    Options
    I appealed it with barclays
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Just to be clear, in response to a SAR CIFAS have stated that the marker is for "falsely reporting a loss by falsely disclaiming transaction" and they'll simply be reflecting what Barclays have advised them, so if Barclays aren't disclosing anything to you, you could perhaps try submitting a SAR to them too, and/or logging a formal complaint?

It's odd that Barclays have given you 60 days notice of main account closure, as they'd normally close this down immediately if they had reason to believe you'd acted fraudulently, so something isn't adding up here, or is that main account with someone else?

When you notified them of lost cards, was there no dialogue at all about what had happened?  No transactions reversed or anything like that?
  • London49
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Just to be clear, in response to a SAR CIFAS have stated that the marker is for "falsely reporting a loss by falsely disclaiming transaction" and they'll simply be reflecting what Barclays have advised them, so if Barclays aren't disclosing anything to you, you could perhaps try submitting a SAR to them too, and/or logging a formal complaint?

It's odd that Barclays have given you 60 days notice of main account closure, as they'd normally close this down immediately if they had reason to believe you'd acted fraudulently, so something isn't adding up here, or is that main account with someone else?

When you notified them of lost cards, was there no dialogue at all about what had happened?  No transactions reversed or anything like that?
    1. yes, I raised a complaint with Barclays and they believed it was the correct decision. How would I go about submitting a SAR to them and what does SAR

2. Sorry that’s my not writing properly. Barclays closed my accounts straight away and my other account has given me 60 days notice. 60 days is for my main account 

3. no it was on there app I just put in when/where I lost them and at what time . Didn’t have any transactions reversed or anything 

• eskbanker
    Options
    London49 said:
    yes, I raised a complaint with Barclays and they believed it was the correct decision.
    I still don't understand this - they've accused you of acting fraudulently but refuse to clarify anything at all about how they reached that conclusion, even in response to a formal complaint?  There are obviously limitations about what can be disclosed in such matters, but conversely it's not unreasonable to seek some basic information if you can't work it out.

London49 said:
    How would I go about submitting a SAR to them
    https://forms-int.barclays.co.uk/forms/gdpr?execution=e1s1 is how/where you'd submit a SAR to Barclays.

London49 said:
    no it was on there app I just put in when/where I lost them and at what time . Didn’t have any transactions reversed or anything 
    So you notified them of the cards being lost and nothing else was said or done by you or them, and the next you knew of it was being notified that the six accounts were closed?
  • London49
    First Post
    Options
    1. I got a letter from barclays which said a lot of nothing, the only info I have about it is on the report from Cifas. What I’m really struggling to understand is they closed the accounts because I supposedly have been falsely reporting a loss and had a falsely disclaiming transaction, they still let me take the money out of the account surly if I’ve committed them offences then I can’t have the money? 

2. Brilliant thank you 

3. I got a text through to say your cards are on the way and the next thing i new everything was closed down 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback