LPG Switch impossible as Avanti Gas derelict in their duty to performing mandatory safety tests.

Options
I am literally being held to ransom by Avanti Gas, who over the past five years failed to perform periodic and mandatory safety checks (so called CP tests and something I pay for in the yearly tank rental fee) on the LPG tank at my house. Because of this, I cannot switch to another supplier (until Avanti produces the test certificates). 

To add insult to injury, Avanti increased their price to 72p per litre which I have to accept or lock myself into another six month contract (max they will offer) at 62p per litre. This means I am paying in excess of £440 more for the tank to be filled when compared to the offers I have from Calor Gas and FloGas, the only two options I have in our area.

I initiated a switch to Calor Gas early January and for the reasons mentioned above this failed yesterday as Avanti did not respond to their request for the test to be done and so the 28-day for the switch ended. Calor Gas happy to say sorry, but nothing we can do. FloGas told me from the offset they could not do a switch from Avanti for the same reason but was happy to offer me a price which was comparable to Calor Gas's offer. The FloGas customer service lady even stated that this is becoming a common problem. I offered in both cases to pay for the test myself but I am told this is not allowed even though both Calor Gas and FloGas offer this as a service to the consumer on their websites. To me this all reeks of anticompetitive behaviour as the sense of complacency shown by these companies suggest they are all doing this effecting customers coming out of contract.

The only trade association I can find related to LPG is Liquid Gas UK, who has an Ombudsman Scheme administered by UtilitiesADR (a division of The Retail Ombudsman) however, navigating the complaints procedure is impossible in bringing the problem specifics to them. And of course, there is now way to speak to them. I wish OFGEM will do what is right and include LPG customers to their remit.

I am happy to hear form others or get advice as I am just about to have yet another extortionate tank fill by Avanti Gas.

Comments

• Poundnote
    Poundnote Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two years ago I initiated a change of supplier from Calor to Flogas via LPG save.

The appropriate notices were given and all was going well until Calor was unable to provide the 20 year test certificate. The tank was 20 + years old and as Calor were the owners had to provide the test certificate which they could not do.

Instead Calor replaced the tank with a newly refurbished one at their cost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback