Money Moral Dilemma: Should my partner contribute to us repaying Child Benefit?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 13 February at 6:04PM in Child support
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Over the past few years, I've been adding more and more to my workplace pension to keep my net income under £50,000, so my partner can keep receiving Child Benefit without having to repay any of it. But now I'd need to pay 26% of my salary into my pension, which I feel is too much at 39 - so I've stopped increasing it and have been repaying some Child Benefit. Yet my partner also works and the only joint thing she pays for is half of our weekly food shopping. Should I ask her to contribute to the amount I'm repaying or do I keep increasing my pension?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would suggest comparative earnings and other costs also come into this equation.
    Anyway, surely you as a family receive child benefit whoever’s bank account it ends up in?

And how does your partner’s pension look in comparison to yours? 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • nev.obrady
    nev.obrady Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course she should pay. You're in a partnership aren't you? Or should she be a kept woman? If she values equality she would volunteer to pay. 
  • drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We did not pay equally for family expenditure.

My partner had reduced income due to working 3 out of 5 days.
    I paid a much greater share of everything to compensate for her income sacrifice. 
    My excess contributions were greater than the income that she sacrificed - though I quite liked the idea that we could all afford to eat out together and go on holiday together 😀
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,974 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If thee only joint thing she pays for is food, then you need a bigger discussion. She should be paying something towards Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas, Electric, TV licence, Broadband, wear and tear on the appliances and house, etc. 

As others have said, it is for each couple to work out their own budgets. I'm lucky in that my partner has the same income as me, so we can pay half the bills, but in a situation where her income is much lower, the only fair system I have come across is one that leaves you both with the same spending money after all the bills are paid. This might result in you paying all the bills, but at least you have had the discussion and agreed that it is fair. 

I think that the only reason you want her to contribute to the child benefit repayment is that she isn't paying enough, such that you are being left with less spending money than she is. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • gothvixen
    gothvixen Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she's only paying half of the groceries she has a very good deal. I think you need to look at the whole picture of your finances. I would always assume I should contribute to the household according to the ratio of salaries. Reducing her income (by asking her to repay some of the CB) because yours has increased seems wrong. I certainly don't think you should pay such an enormous sum into your pension - isn't the CB repayment far smaller, so you would still be winning if you continued to make the repayment yourself? I think her pension should be topped up, you paying a proportion according to the income ratio at that time, if she did miss out on contributions when she was on maternity leave. We have so little of the whole picture here, but what you suggest certainly isn't fair to her, despite her making only a small percentage contribution to all bills. I assume she does undertake more of the childcare so this arrangement is in lieu of such fees, though most parents don't expect financial recompense for caring for their own offspring.
  • saoirse86
    Options
    I’m presuming the child(ren) she was receiving child benefit for aren’t your children. Maybe there’s therefore more to this financial situation and that’s why she pays little of the joint costs. If not, surely she could contribute more, you could continue to pay a lot into your pension (you may really need that if she’s not earning much), and she can still get child benefit? You surely know where her income is going, but if not, you really need to talk. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback