PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Warn Buyer of Noisy Neighbour?

I'm owner of flat on victorian terraced road in an area that has quickly become gentrified. The houses have mostly been split up into flats with share of freehold.

The flat directly above a neighbour who has lived on the road for 15+ years has been sold pending contract.  That neighbour has extremely loud (club like) parties which generally start about midnight and end 6-9am.  He also tends to hang with a specific subset of society that yell & fight on the road at all hours and I'm sure drugs are being used prolifically.

The council & police have been informed on multiple occasions, some neighbours have collected a lot of evidence, and he has been been sent several warning letters by the Landlord (The Peabody Trust).  Following this, the volume has gone down a few notches and the frequency of these parties have been reduced.

I'm generally ok with how it is now, but feel sorry for whoever is buying the expensive flat above him.  Just thinking they put their life savings into it and then realise it's a nightmare.  Should I send a note to the Estate Agent? Do they have to pass it on?

The current owner of the flat bought it at auction a couple of years ago, did some minor improvements, and is listing it for double the price.

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,254
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If there's been a complaint to the council then it should come up on searches, so they'll find out anyway. Personally, I'd stay out of it. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,273
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If there's been a complaint to the council then it should come up on searches
    No it won't, unless it's got as far as a statutory notice being served.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,778
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If a formal complaint has been made though, it should be mentioned in the TA6. 

I'm afraid I'm also in the "stay out of it" camp. And in answer to your question about the state agent, as they act for the seller, I'd suggest that any such note/information would be very much  not something they would - or even should - pass to the buyer. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,127
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 2:39PM

I'm afraid I'm also in the "stay out of it" camp. And in answer to your question about the state agent, as they act for the seller, I'd suggest that any such note/information would be very much  not something they would - or even should - pass to the buyer. 
    It should be mentioned in the TA6, but could be deliberately left out. 

I'd stay out of it too. Too many potential problems. 
  • Put yourself in the position of one day you have noisy neighbours and want to move to preserve your sanity, would you want someone interfering and telling people not to buy your house?

My neighbours aren't great and are part of the reason we are shortly due to move, you have to think of the impact you cause to others by basically trapping them in a home they can't move from. 

The fiat you speak about is someone's investment so yes they aren't suffering the noisy neighbour but you are writing off huge amounts of their time and money by rendering the house unsellable. Also do you really want comebacks from the people whose home you are stopping them from selling.

I do get where you are coming from but all you can do is let them move in and decide themselves if it's an issue, if they do then sit back and let them sell it on again. Or more complaints from the new people might get this guy evicted once and for all.

• That's something the purchaser should be asking the vendor (ie have you got any neighbour problems) in writing. That way they have a comeback.  When we bought our current house 2 years ago I also went and knocked on neighbours to ask about any issues. It's buyer beware so I wouldn't get involved unless they come knocking.

• nkarma
    nkarma Posts: 33
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 3:05PM
    Just to add a little context.  The flat was purchased less than 2 years ago at auction for £283k.  I'm sure it was sold at auction cause of noisy neighbour.  They 'flipped it' and did some cosmetic renovations, decorating etc but nothing big. I think the current owner doesn't live there and this is purely a business proposition.  Unlikely owner would have made a noise complaint but many other neighbours have.

It's listed for £485k now.  I guess I'm putting myself in the buyers shoes as at that price, they will live there and tend to be first time buyers for other similar flats on the road. 

FlyMeSomewhere's post is 1000% right thing to do then.  Just feel bad passing on the noisy neighbour to the next sucker.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,223
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RHemmings said:

Doesn't it depend on who made the complaint?  If the complaint wasn't made by the seller would they necessarily know about it?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,273
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 February at 3:06PM
    RHemmings said:

Doesn't it depend on who made the complaint?  If the complaint wasn't made by the seller would they necessarily know about it?
    Yes, the TA6 is only about neighbour complaints (and potential ones) that the seller knows about (and wants to be honest enough to disclose...).

As I said above, the only way any other complaints would be disclosed is if the council has served a notice - and even then it's a notice against the offending property, so wouldn't necessarily show up on a search against the flat being sold.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,127
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The situation potentially stinks (depending on whether or not the buyers know the situation or not). But, it's hard to know what to do about it that won't just get you caught up in it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback