Wizz air - signficant flight alteration

Options
Hello, hoping some holiday expert who've been in a similar situation can help. I booked some flights for an Xmas present paired with a hotel. A day before Xmas wizz air changed the flights entirely- from a 3 day break - departing from UK airport to Budapest (originally) to a same day flight FROM Budapest to a UK airport. The hotel didn't have a cancellation option so I had to find new wizz air flights. All of the newer flights had an extra day meaning an extra night in Budapest. I went with that option as otherwise I'd have lost the entire hotel booking. Given the fundamental alteration and subsequent flight change, I've asked for them to refund the extra night in the hotel at 170 for the night. They've come back with yes we changed it all but no we are not liable due to EU regulation confirming no consequential loss. I've tried to find points to dispute this but can't locate anything. Has anyone had anything similar and any success in fighting this? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately they're right - airlines aren't held liable for consequential losses such as accommodation costs under either the UK/EU flight delay/cancellation regulations or when changing schedules in advance, so if you're booking flights and accommodation independently of each other then this is the risk you run.  Booking a break like that as a package mitigates the risk, as the package organiser would be on the hook to make it work....
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    Options
    +1            
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A bit late now, but for future reference you didn't have to accept alternative Wizzair flight. You were entitled to flights on your original dates even with a other airline. 
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    A bit late now, but for future reference you didn't have to accept alternative Wizzair flight. You were entitled to flights on your original dates even with a other airline. 
    And often 'entitled' and WizzAir don't sit comfortably in the same sentence. I'd be interested if anyone other than a vociferous seasoned traveller aware of their rights has ever received an alternative from WizzAir
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wonka_2 said:
    bagand96 said:
    And often 'entitled' and WizzAir don't sit comfortably in the same sentence. I'd be interested if anyone other than a vociferous seasoned traveller aware of their rights has ever received an alternative from WizzAir
    Most airlines won't offer an alternative.  It aoiod be down to the customer to book their own alternative and claim any difference in cost back. Granted some airlines make this easier than others! 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    Wonka_2 said:
    bagand96 said:
    Most airlines won't offer an alternative.  It aoiod be down to the customer to book their own alternative and claim any difference in cost back. Granted some airlines make this easier than others! 
    In such circumstances it'll perhaps be worth citing the CAA expectations for airlines operating in the UK, and in particular section 4.2:
    However, in circumstances where there is no re-routing option under Article 8(1)(b) on its own services or, where applicable, on the services of its partner airlines, on the same day as the original flight and via the same route, the CAA’s view is that the airline should next seek to identify re-routing options on the services of alternative airlines on the same day as the original flight and via the same route.
    Re-routing in accordance with Article 8 of Regulation (EU) 261/2004 (caa.co.uk)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback