O2 Default

Options
I'm looking for advice please:

I applied for a mortgage from Natwest and was refused due to an adverse payment entry (this was pretty much the email I sent to O2):

It shows an amount of £9 in default for 12 months or so. I have never received any communications from them regarding this, the first time I'm made aware is when my mortgage application is refused and it appears on my credit report.

The above number is my ex-wife's, it was transferred to her own account around 12 months ago (11/01/2023), at the time I was told that the account was Up To Date and closed. I have tried to log in to the account (xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com) in order to check and if there is an outstanding amount clear it. The saved credentials would not work and the forgotten password never sends me the email which suggests that the account was indeed closed? 

It seems grossly unfair that my credit score is negatively impacted by this when:

a. I was told at the time the balance was cleared and the account closed.
b. You have never emailed me or attempted to contact me otherwise about an outstanding amount.

I need as a matter of urgency to pay this amount (if in fact it is due) and get this record expunged from my credit report. As I say I'm at the end of a long running divorce and am now looking to buy another home, this has caused my chosen lender to decline my application.

Please advise how we now proceed as I am livid to say the least.

They have thus far not responded to my emails. Is there anything I can do other than keep emailing them?

I can't believe this is happening, I've banked with them for 20 years, have paid off a £23k personal loan with them (without default), I have already paid off one mortgage, I don't owe anyone anything, have a reasonably well paid job (over 13 years). I was looking for £140k with £40k deposit. I don't have any skeletons in the cupboard.

Also, I believed article 22 of UK GDPR says I have the right not to be subject to automatic scoring, is that true and if so what recourse do I have with Natwest?

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Also, I believed article 22 of UK GDPR says I have the right not to be subject to automatic scoring, is that true and if so what recourse do I have with Natwest?
    You have the right not to be subject to automatic assessment, but that simply means NatWest will not look at your mortgage application (or any other application), as they don't do personalised assessments.

If you're not getting answers from O2, you might want to consider a SAR.
  • Paulmoreland
    Options

You have the right not to be subject to automatic assessment, but that simply means NatWest will not look at your mortgage application (or any other application), as they don't do personalised assessments.

If you're not getting answers from O2, you might want to consider a SAR.
    the data controller shall implement suitable measures to safeguard the data subject’s rights and freedoms and legitimate interests, at least the right to obtain human intervention on the part of the controller, to express his or her point of view and to contest the decision.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may be able to complain formally (have you marked your letters as a complaint?) about this but if the debt is legitimate, then it is correctly marked on your file so it's difficult to argue it shouldn't be there.

You could ask for a formal review of your application but 1 single missing payment from 12 months ago is unlikely to stop you getting a mortgage 
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    You may be able to complain formally (have you marked your letters as a complaint?) about this but if the debt is legitimate, then it is correctly marked on your file so it's difficult to argue it shouldn't be there.

You could ask for a formal review of your application but 1 single missing payment from 12 months ago is unlikely to stop you getting a mortgage 
    I may be wrong but I thought Op meant the account has defaulted and been given a default which is why they expect they’ve been rejected instantly 

not just a missed payment 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure