Child tax credit and maternity

Options
This may seem like a stupid question but i have searched and searched and can't find the answer. 

If i am on maternity but normally earn over £60k i am NOT entitled to child tax credit in the same was as someone earning less than this? Even though maternity pay after 6 weeks drops to less than 40% and then no pay shortly after?

If i know i am not going back full time then i can submit at that point as i am under the threshold?

Any help is great as i can see there is time limit on claiming but i cannot find the answers to the above anywhere.

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No idea, but I wonder if https://pregnantthenscrewed.com/ or https://maternityaction.org.uk/ would be good places to ask? 

Do come back and tell us once you find out!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you don't currently have a tax credit award then no new claims are possible, you would need to claim UC. If you live with a partner then, as with tax credits, this would need to be a joint claim. Qualification for UC is dependant upon your household circumstances.

If you do have a current tax credits award;
    Tax credits awards are based upon your annual household earnings with your current award based upon last years annual household income. If this years household income will vary by more than £2500 (up or down) then this needs reporting to HMRC and a revised tax credit award would be issued based upon the revised income figures you supplied.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback