Faulty iPhone - 2.5 years old - Apple charging £500 for repair

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Had  excellent service from Apple on products bought from them. Laptop battery stopped holding charge out of warranty period but Genius Bar immediately said it would be replaced free of charge. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Given I think most apple products are bought via third parties (they are the manufacturer in most cases rather than the seller), I think they're remarkably good... especially when compared to alternatives like Currys who seem to constantly be denying customer's rights. 

That said, they are a business, so their willingness to go above and beyond will be tempered by corporate priorities (which can change over time). 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Exodi said:
    robbie_28 said:
    legendary customer service
    That's made my morning.

Apple is a regular topic on this forum for its opportunistic practices. The company is the epitome of anti-consumerism. To what circles do you belong to believe they have 'legendary customer service'?

As usual with these threads, they will obfuscate the issue (while simultaneously denying it's due to inherent fault) and leave you with the options of either paying for a technical assessment of the damage (which they will inevitably also reject) or just sucking it up.

Apple has always been like this.
    That is simply not true

I have used Apple since it brought out the iMac in 1998. MacBooks, iPads and iPhone since 2008

Yes I have had problems with them all and used the Apple Store as my first call, never been rejected.

1st MacBook split coffee on and they couldn't recover it, another MacBook stupidly did the same and they did recover it after 5 hours left in the store, it could only run on charger. no charge.

Had software issues with iPhone and had a fix in store, hardware issue fixed in store by replacing with new, all out of warranty 

I have never been charged once.

If you're not happy with Apple that's Ok use Samsung and best of luck getting the same level of  service 

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Corrosion of the contact point due to an electric current passing through dissimilar metals is a known problem
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Getting the charging port replaced by a local independent repair centre should be under £100 and if you are handy yourself the parts are less than £30.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February at 4:28PM
    MikeJXE said:
    Exodi said:
    robbie_28 said:
    legendary customer service
    That's made my morning.

Apple is a regular topic on this forum for its opportunistic practices. The company is the epitome of anti-consumerism. To what circles do you belong to believe they have 'legendary customer service'?

As usual with these threads, they will obfuscate the issue (while simultaneously denying it's due to inherent fault) and leave you with the options of either paying for a technical assessment of the damage (which they will inevitably also reject) or just sucking it up.

Apple has always been like this.
    That is simply not true

I have used Apple since it brought out the iMac in 1998. MacBooks, iPads and iPhone since 2008

Yes I have had problems with them all and used the Apple Store as my first call, never been rejected.

1st MacBook split coffee on and they couldn't recover it, another MacBook stupidly did the same and they did recover it after 5 hours left in the store, it could only run on charger. no charge.

Had software issues with iPhone and had a fix in store, hardware issue fixed in store by replacing with new, all out of warranty 

I have never been charged once.

If you're not happy with Apple that's Ok use Samsung and best of luck getting the same level of  service 
    Sorry for insulting Apple, but please don't turn this into Apple v Samsung.

Out of interest, which part did you find 'simply not true'?

That they are the epitome of anti-consumerism? Are there any of these points you particularly disagree with then - Apples monopolistic app store? Apples continued efforts to prevent third party repairs (though I'm sure the indoctrinated with repeat the mantra that this is something to do with ensuring the quality of repairs)? Apples slowing down of older phones which they were successfully sued for? Apples charging port monopoly (changing the port every generation was a household joke in itself, Apple had to be forced to USB C by court ruling)?

Or that their service division may not be as consumer-minded as their marketing would have you believe? You only need to spend a couple of minutes searching this forum to see examples of that.

I'm not going to be disingenuous here, because I understand people don't make threads that say 'Apple repaired my product no problem, nothing to report', but clearly it's a stretch for you to say what I said is simply not true...

It's obviously fantastic news to hear that you are a loyal long-time Apple user and despite reporting that you have broken so much Apple stuff over the last 15+ years, you are able to inform us that Apple has fortunately never once on a single occasion charged you a single penny.
    Know what you don't
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,406 Forumite
    Corrosion usually takes time and a continued level of moisture (or other corrosive)...
    Remembering an entire generation who were trained to blow into the port to 'fix' connection problems! :D 
    Fluff in charging ports is a big issue. many people put phone in pocket with it at the bottom, right where all the crap is in your pocket.
    Should put charging port to top...
    Used a needle to clear a old phone port out & the amount that came out was scary..
    Life in the slow lane
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,649 Forumite
    Corrosion usually takes time and a continued level of moisture (or other corrosive)...
    Remembering an entire generation who were trained to blow into the port to 'fix' connection problems! :D 
    Yep, truly awful idea, if you need to blow anything in there use canned air. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,649 Forumite
    edited 12 February at 5:23PM
    Fluff in charging ports is a big issue. many people put phone in pocket with it at the bottom, right where all the crap is in your pocket.
    Should put charging port to top...
    Used a needle to clear a old phone port out & the amount that came out was scary..
    I use port protectors on my phone in the power port and headphone socket as I charge wirelessly and use Bluetooth and streaming for audio, little silicone things, they work great. A few months ago I had to clear the fluff out a family member's iPhone as the lightning port stopped working (they mostly charged wirelessly so had not noticed) and I was amazed how much fluff came out, they now use the port protectors as well. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Need to be careful doing that as well - I've watched people put in the end of a paperclip and wiggle... 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback