Time to get through Stansted?

Options
Another of those impossible questions, but what would you do?

I am booked on to a Ryanair flight (from Italy) scheduled to land at 18.40 on a mid-week evening early in March. There is a convenient train with an affordable advance-purchase ticket leaving Stansted at 19.30. Can I reasonably expect to catch that train, given (i) the chance of the 'plane arriving late; (ii) possible queues to clear Arrivals? Obviously anything could happen, but would you regard that as a reasonable bet? (If I miss the train the ticket has no value and a replacement ticket on the day would be very expensive.)

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Will you be needing to collect checked-in baggage too?
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We don't usually have checked in luggage but did on our latest trip.  All 3 flights took 50 minutes to clear passport control and get to the arrivals area.  On 2 of those 3 our pre-booked transport had already given up and abandoned us.  I wouldn't take the risk!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Will you be needing to collect checked-in baggage too?
    No. It is just a question of getting myself off the 'plane and through the e-gates into the country.
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 429 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I flew in to Stansted Sunday, and the e-gates weren't working... 
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's not really leaving much slack for the flight arriving late and/ or delays.  If the advance ticket is really cheap it may be worth a risk.  How does it compare with an off-peak ticket you can buy on the day to travel on a later train if you miss the 19.30?
    If you tell us your destination, someone might be able to help with split ticket or other options to reduce the price.
  • CheekyMikey
    CheekyMikey Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    At Stansted I always buy fast track through passport control..you can get it as part of car parking too with the right option. Definitely worth it as Stansted can be a nightmare at passport control 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback