S75 help

Options
Just looking for some advice. I bought something from a company that has subsequently gone into liquidation. The company was based in America and I didn’t get the service that I paid for. 

I submitted a section 75 claim from the credit card provider and have received an email to state that a payment will be made to myself. Just wondering with section 75 is there any comeback so is there any possibility that the amount that has been paid to me will be reversed or will the company all the companies administrators attempt to take the money back?

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you'll be fine - it's a chargeback that can be reversed.  If your bank have accepted and paid the claim, that's the end of it as far as you're concerned.
    Whether they then choose to pursue the company's administrators to recoup their loss is up to them, but that's of no concern to you :)
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you'll be fine - it's a chargeback that can be reversed.  If your bank have accepted and paid the claim, that's the end of it as far as you're concerned.
    Whether they then choose to pursue the company's administrators to recoup their loss is up to them, but that's of no concern to you :)
    The OP's bank will have gotten the money from the Supplier's Merchant Bank... it's up to their bank if they pursue them or not. 

The Administrator for the Supplier will be notified of the chargeback and will clearly look to see if they agree the service wasn't given. Assuming they agree they won't contest it and the refund will stand. If the company records show service was given then they potentially will contest. This contract was presumably bound under a US legal jurisdiction which typically is much less consumer focused than the UK
  • Shopper1315
    Shopper1315 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if it makes any difference but the wording in the settlement offer ex gratis full and final without admission of any liability 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,529 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if it makes any difference but the wording in the settlement offer ex gratis full and final without admission of any liability 
    Well that's a S75 claim..

As far as you go banks has paid out end of story.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Shopper1315
    Options
    I asked the card company today if it’s a permanent refund and they advised it is temporary credit as the dispute process still ongoing. If the retailer didn't challenge the claim after the 60days then the credit will be permanent on the account.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I asked the card company today if it’s a permanent refund and they advised it is temporary credit as the dispute process still ongoing. If the retailer didn't challenge the claim after the 60days then the credit will be permanent on the account.
    The reference to 'full and final' in the first of these two posts implied that it was handled as s75, but 'temporary' in the second clearly indicates being processed as chargeback, where, as stated, it can be challenged.  Merchants have been known to pursue cardholders directly long after failing to challenge chargeback claims so even after successful conclusion of a chargeback it's not truly final, but it would be unlikely for anyone to pursue you for the money if the company has gone bust.
  • born_again
    Options
    That muddies the waters...
    As above. Now sounds like a chargeback.

Who is the company? Not SmileDirect is it?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Shopper1315
    Options
    That muddies the waters...
    As above. Now sounds like a chargeback.

Who is the company? Not SmileDirect is it?
    Yep smile direct club!
  • Shopper1315
    Options
    Just an update - today my credit card company confirmed the dispute is closed and I have my money back. 
  • born_again
    Options
    Just an update - today my credit card company confirmed the dispute is closed and I have my money back. 
    Keep fingers crossed that the co do not go the legal route now. 
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure