R40 advice.....

Options

Hello 

I’m about to fill in a R40 form to claim back tax paid on PPI. I don’t think I can do this using the online form as there’s nowhere to attach the supporting evidence - happy to be told I can and there is!

However my main question was if I received the letter from my bank informing me of the decision relating to PPI and the breakdown of the amount to be refunded and tax payable etc in March 2020, but I didn’t receive the payment cheque until June 2020 - which tax year should I be claiming for? 2019/20 or 2020/21? I don’t want to fill it in to be told it’s null and void….

Thanks for any help!

Ajd38

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ajd38 said:

Hello 

I’m about to fill in a R40 form to claim back tax paid on PPI. I don’t think I can do this using the online form as there’s nowhere to attach the supporting evidence - happy to be told I can and there is!

However my main question was if I received the letter from my bank informing me of the decision relating to PPI and the breakdown of the amount to be refunded and tax payable etc in March 2020, but I didn’t receive the payment cheque until June 2020 - which tax year should I be claiming for? 2019/20 or 2020/21? I don’t want to fill it in to be told it’s null and void….

Thanks for any help!

Ajd38

Do you mean it took a few weeks before the bank issued the cheque?

Presumably you didn't complete a Self Assessment return for 2020:21?

I think you are likely to need to post the form and supporting evidence.
  • Ajd38
    Ajd38 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Correct - 12 weeks - and at that point, there was no need for me to fill in a Self Assessment. 

Thanks
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ajd38 said:
    Correct - 12 weeks - and at that point, there was no need for me to fill in a Self Assessment

Thanks
    In that case it's ok to use the R40.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport