Water Billing

I have just received an email from my water company advising me of my new balance of almost £600 so it was a bit of a shock considering my last years bill was just over £400! This isn't the thing that's bugging me though! I read the rest of the email and noticed that this is for the whole year as I'd expected, but what I couldn't get to grips with was the fact that, as I pay monthly instalments for my bill and my last payment is not until the end of February 2024, my actual balance should haveread £40 and not almost £600. 

I contacted my water company with regards to this and they said that the new bill (dated 1st April) 2024) has been added to my balance! I have worked for many years in an accounts office and never before known of any company that bills people 2 months prior to their bill date ! All that my water company could say is that the bills are added automatically so that people have an idea what they will have to pay in the year to come? Don't get me wrong but I understand this, so why isn't this just done in a notification? Why does it have to be added to the consumers balance ?

I just wondered if anyone else thinks this is the correct way or a fair way of doing things ?

look forward to hearing from people regarding this 

SueW63 x

Comments

• freesha
    freesha Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Totally normal when not metered. I get my bill in Feb/March every year, payable as of April.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback