Resigning - going to be very awkward…

Options
I’m currently training for a NHS role, that is part, University and part in service. 

After 6 weeks, I’ve decided, it’s not for me. The process and the role itself are very rigid and I am looking to return to my previous education field. 

How do I leave? In a short time I have met lots of peers, lecturers and line managers etc and a lot of effort has gone into my induction. I just don’t know how to approach this? 

I also don’t have a job to leave to. I could get a temp on in next few weeks but with mortgage and children, leaving with nothing is impossible? 

I just wanted a settled, content life but finding this situation really tough mentally to navigate 

Any advice would be great thanks! 

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RedfordML said:
    I’m currently training for a NHS role, that is part, University and part in service. 

After 6 weeks, I’ve decided, it’s not for me. The process and the role itself are very rigid and I am looking to return to my previous education field. 

How do I leave? In a short time I have met lots of peers, lecturers and line managers etc and a lot of effort has gone into my induction. I just don’t know how to approach this? 

I also don’t have a job to leave to. I could get a temp on in next few weeks but with mortgage and children, leaving with nothing is impossible? 

I just wanted a settled, content life but finding this situation really tough mentally to navigate 

Any advice would be great thanks! 

As much as the role isn't for you, you already know that you need to find a new role so that has to be your first port of call.

Once you get over that hurdle, be honest with your current employer.
  • RedfordML
    RedfordML Posts: 904 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I agree. Might have to accept temp work for the next few months, whilst applying for a permanent roles. 

Just feels the longer I stay, the longer I am wasting everyone’s time and that’s the flip side of the coin. I dread that conversation…as I’ve had more invested in me in terms of induction and training, not to mention Univeristy. 

The positive, there are no course or training fees to pay. 

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    Be honest with them & just explain the role isn't right for you & you think it is better to leave now early doors rather than wait 9 months & then leave.
  • RedfordML
    Options
    Penguin_ said:
    Be honest with them & just explain the role isn't right for you & you think it is better to leave now early doors rather than wait 9 months & then leave.
    Thankyou for your replies. I totally agree. 
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 February at 10:54AM
    Options
    If your current role pays the mortgage and feeds your family then you need to replace it.

How confident are you that you can get temp or full time employment  that doesn't impact your financial committments.

Personally I'd be securing employment elsewhere before leaving 

• RedfordML
    Options
    If your current role pays the mortgage and feeds your family then you need to replace it.

How confident are you that you can get temp or full time employment  that doesn't impact your financial committments.

Personally I'd be securing employment elsewhere before leaving 

Tbh, being a teacher, I could go back to supply and apply from there - a pay cut but would pay the bills if I do it 3-6 months 

thanks for your reply. 
  • kayleighali
    kayleighali Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Have you signed a contract saying you will be liable for costs if you leave the course early?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Penguin_ said:

Be very careful with that approach.  The OP has already said they can't afford to be without an income.  Telling the employer they plan to leave at some indeterminate date in the future, could be enough for the employer to decide they don't want to spend any more time training them, and terminate their employment.
    It's good to see somebody who is concerned about wasting the employers time and money, but they really do have to put their own needs at the top of the list.
  • RedfordML
    Options
    Have you signed a contract saying you will be liable for costs if you leave the course early?
    No fee liability as it’s a paid role but has a university training element but that’s on the NHS - UEA on fees etc. no bursary or loan etc either to pay back 

thanks for your reply 
  • RedfordML
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Penguin_ said:

Be very careful with that approach.  The OP has already said they can't afford to be without an income.  Telling the employer they plan to leave at some indeterminate date in the future, could be enough for the employer to decide they don't want to spend any more time training them, and terminate their employment.
    It's good to see somebody who is concerned about wasting the employers time and money, but they really do have to put their own needs at the top of the list.
    Thanks for your reply. 

Does this advice mean, say nothing until I’ve got something else in place? Then be honest and say why I’m leaving? 

My second issue, is references? Leaving so early. Current line managers are really nice (nothing to do with them!) but would they want to write a ref for someone leaving so quickly? Would a school right me off - for having a ref not positive? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback