We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing cash at airport.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    0891c said:
    So, I made the classic mistake of changing case at the airport before flying, due to being in a tired state and not entirely thinking clearly.  I paid £150 and received 135 euros (0.936 rate). Now, I know rates are hideous at airport branches, but still.  The current rate for Pounds to Euros is 1.17 so I should have received 175Euros.  I must have had really bad brain fog not to realise this was a complete rip off.  I can't help but think a mistake was made and the exchange rate for Euros to Pounds was used by accident (which would make much more sense).  Or are rates really that hideous?  I kind of think I know the answer..  
    Where did you get this rate from?

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 February at 5:00PM
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:
    So, I made the classic mistake of changing case at the airport before flying, due to being in a tired state and not entirely thinking clearly.  I paid £150 and received 135 euros (0.936 rate). Now, I know rates are hideous at airport branches, but still.  The current rate for Pounds to Euros is 1.17 so I should have received 175Euros.  I must have had really bad brain fog not to realise this was a complete rip off.  I can't help but think a mistake was made and the exchange rate for Euros to Pounds was used by accident (which would make much more sense).  Or are rates really that hideous?  I kind of think I know the answer..  

Thats probably the Mastercard or Visa rate which you arent going to get in a shop. 
  • Pollycat
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:

Thats probably the Mastercard or Visa rate which you arent going to get in a shop. 
    and certainly not at the airport as a walk-up wanting to change £150.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:

That is the rate today if exchangin on the Revolut app which of course has no bearing on any rates being offered to the OP at the airport
  • Pollycat
    Options
    photome said:
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:

That is the rate today if exchangin on the Revolut app which of course has no bearing on any rates being offered to the OP at the airport
    So completely irrelevant to the discussion...
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    photome said:
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:

It was the OP who brought it in to the discussion, I was suggesting where the OP got the rate from because you asked.  and yes I said it had no bearing on the rate offered to the OP
  • Pollycat
    Options
    photome said:
    Pollycat said:
    photome said:
    Pollycat said:
    0891c said:

It was the OP who brought it in to the discussion, I was suggesting where the OP got the rate from because you asked.  and yes I said it had no bearing on the rate offered to the OP
    Sorry, I think you've misunderstood my point.

My comment about the rate mentioned being irrelevant was directed to the OP. Not you.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 10 February at 10:05AM
    Options
    Rates at foreign airports don't tend to be as hideous as the UK, some eg in Asia have very reasonable rates. But why anyone changes cash these days is beyond me, just use a card at an ATM when you land, most airports of any size will have ATMs. If you even need cash, a lot of countries you don't these days.
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    zagfles said:
    If you even need cash, a lot of countries you don't these days.
    I do like to have a small amount of cash with me, but I got €50 in cash approx 2 years ago, prior to a trip. I've since been to Rome a couple of times, Valencia, Zagreb, Mallorca & Malta, and still have ~€30 in my wallet. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure