Changing cash at airport.....

Options
So, I made the classic mistake of changing case at the airport before flying, due to being in a tired state and not entirely thinking clearly.  I paid £150 and received 135 euros (0.936 rate). Now, I know rates are hideous at airport branches, but still.  The current rate for Pounds to Euros is 1.17 so I should have received 175Euros.  I must have had really bad brain fog not to realise this was a complete rip off.  I can't help but think a mistake was made and the exchange rate for Euros to Pounds was used by accident (which would make much more sense).  Or are rates really that hideous?  I kind of think I know the answer..  

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, the rates at airports are uncompetitive, chalk it down to experience and move on.
  • I_am_a_robot
    I_am_a_robot Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Did they charge a transaction fee?  Makes smaller amounts even more of a rip off.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You agreed to sell one currency and purchase another at a rate you were happy enough to freely enter into a contract for.

Spread rates at airports are often around 40%. You should not have received more. The current mid market rate is irrelevant here.
    💙💛 💔
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February at 10:23AM
    Options
    You’ll never get the spot rate, because currency exchange businesses need to make a margin. You may be able to get close to it though.

but yes; exchanging currency at an airport as a captive audience = poor rates.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work in and around airports and cant remember the last time i saw the the rates being even close to £1 to 1 euro, i have seen it as low as 85cents to the £1. 

Before they completed the transaction they would have told you how much you were getting so that was your chance to walk away

Your statement.........."The current rate for Pounds to Euros is 1.17 so I should have received 175Euros" 

so if this was the case how do you expect these companies to make money? 
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    phatbear said:

Your statement.........."The current rate for Pounds to Euros is 1.17 so I should have received 175Euros" 

I've just checked the current tourist rate from Eurochange and they do 1.1439 to the £ so the OP would receive 171.59 euro for his £150.  The rate offered by the exchange bureaux at the airport is nothing to do with not making money.  It's a captive market and they are making the most of it.

• la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    phatbear said:

I've just checked the current tourist rate from Eurochange and they do 1.1439 to the £ so the OP would receive 171.59 euro for his £150. 

Yes,if he had pre ordered, at no point did he said he had.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    phatbear said:

I've just checked the current tourist rate from Eurochange and they do 1.1439 to the £ so the OP would receive 171.59 euro for his £150. 

The 'over the counter' rate and the 'pre-order' rate at Eurochange differs by less than 1 cent.  Your post suggests that massive differences between pre-order and over-the-counter are huge.  That is not the case.  It's simply that exchange desks at airports don't need to be competitive for over-the-counter sales.
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 February at 4:44PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    la531983 said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    phatbear said:

The 'over the counter' rate and the 'pre-order' rate at Eurochange differs by less than 1 cent
    Reading back, where did the OP say the transaction was with Eurochange?  Not entirely sure why you have brought them into the conversation.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cash at airports is generally a distressed purchase, even more so now with so many options for obtaining forex at spot rates using various cards, and just like fuel, drink and food at motorway service stations you pay for the privilege of the service being provided.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback