When Open Reach cannot find a fault

Options
My ISP - PlusNet have been trying to find the issue with regular huge dips in speed and inconsistent broadband generally (with occasional drops) for five months now.
I have had new router and replaced all internal wiring to it and a new socket.
There has been no improvement.
PlusNet have offered me a penalty free walk away as they sat there is nothing else they can do as Open Reach have reported no faults n the line.
No other ISP is going to be able to improve things are they ?  as Open Reach are saying the infrastructure though very old and some distance from the green box is working ok.
It is time to leave the Openreach infrastructure and go to Starlink - which is going to be very costly each month compared to PlusNet?
We live remotely and with only 11 residents we are likely to be the very last to get fibre to door.
Anyone else experienced similar of ISP's giving up trying to remedy the issue....
Your thoughts welcomed :-) 

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February at 8:14PM
    Options
    Let us check the obvious first, you're not doing anything silly like switching your router off every night?
    Because that will cause your problem, but this should have been spotted in the data Plusnet get..

Are you speed drops occurring on a wireless connection or are you wired?

There is one BT based provider that may be able to help... but you'll have to move to them first - and this ain't a budget end of the market provider either.

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Every time it drops out report it as a fault, if not rectified in the allowed timescale apply for the compensation.

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

We live remotely and with only 11 residents we are likely to be the very last to get fibre to door.

We are in a similar position - 4 houses within 1 mile of other properties and 2m from the exchange so can only get 2 Mbps ADSL ... so we use Airband WISP, which works fine *most* of the time - have you considered something like this?
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Not necessarily so, I would imagine one of the criteria for deciding the order in which exchange area gets upgraded will be the percentage of subscriber's having faults with the existing infrastructure.This will be taken into account by the planners as a cost.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    J_B said:

We are in a similar position - 4 houses within 1 mile of other properties and 2m from the exchange so can only get 2 Mbps ADSL ... so we use Airband WISP, which works fine *most* of the time - have you considered something like this?
    Airband or other WISP type services only work where they are available.

Very few areas have them. We did for a short period of time (I think it was call summat like AirAngel) but the intermediate relay went down around five years ago and they didn't bother replace as we were on a promise of fibre, which we got eventually. Some houses still have the antenna on the wall.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

There is one BT based provider that may be able to help... but you'll have to move to them first - and this ain't a budget end of the market provider either.

I know from personal experience they will not accept a "brush off" from BT wholesale when dealing with line faults if something is too difficult to diagnose and fix in a single (or multiple) visits. Ultimately they had their lawyers remind BTW of their contractual obligations which finally prompted the required action from Openreach.  
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Michaelhales2002
    Options
    After much annoyance we now have Starlink - May be £85/month but has not dropped once and great speeds too. Thanks for all your comments.  If and once fibre arrives here, we will revert back as it is sure to be cheaper.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback