Can I drive
I was involved in an accident. From the Dashcam footage, it was super-clear to my own insurance (Axa) that the other driver is at fault. However, the other insurer (Haven) has a bad reputation for taking it too long to respond or admit liability.
My current status: My insurance has decided that the car is a "potential total loss" and has asked Copart to assess the damage. They have the images, and their engineering team is going to respond to me in few days regarding whether it's going to be written off, it's category (S/N), and the offer for the Pre-Accident Value of my car.
Why I am not getting a courtesy car: I am receiving very mixed signals from my insurance (Axa) and its partners regarding getting a courtesy car so I decided not to get one. Axa uses Enterprise Rent-A-Car for providing courtesy cars. But both Axa and Enterprise say that it's best that I don't take the courtesy car until they receive official acceptance of liability from the other insurrer (Haven), and they admit it is very difficult to get an answer from the other insurer. They suggest that in case the other insurer does not pay, then I need to pay the cost of hiring the car myself. More importantly, neither Axa nor Enterprise are accepting to take my claims for the parking (because my street parking from the council is tied to my numberplate). so I cannot claim costs of parking, which is about £70 per week. Basically, no courtesy car option as it is too costly and too risky.
My question: My car is still driveable and roadworthy in my opinion. I want to know exactly if I am allowed to drive my car in these three stages:
1) Right now, while Copart's Engineering team is assessing my car and its value.
2) The period between the time they inform me about the category of the car and their initial offer for the value of the car until I accept the offer. I assume this can take time if I challenge the offer and provide evidence that it is worth more.
3) The period from the time I accept the offer, until they collect the car from me (assuming I don't / they don't offer buying back the salvage).
For stage 1 (that I'm in, atm): I previously asked Axa about whether I can use the car for now, they said you can drive it if the car is roadworthy. I asked Copart if I can drive it, they said we don't recommend it and probably you shouldn't do it because it is potentially a total loss. When I asked for clarification, Copart's operator said he doesn't really know. Again, mixed signals.
Not sure what to do about stage 2, which could start at any moment (they will call me some time this week).
- All Categories
- 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 449K Spending & Discounts
- 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 172.3K Life & Family
- 246.7K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards