Natwest & Pra Group

Options
TwirlingQueen
TwirlingQueen Posts: 37 Forumite
First Post
edited 7 February at 12:18PM in Credit file & ratings
Morning all....just after some input whilst waiting on a response from Natwest.

I had 2 credit cards with NatWest.

Natwest sold both debts to PRA 

PRA defaulted January 2018 - which finally fell off last month! Happy Days! 

However Natwest defaults dates are March & April 2018 so are still there....I have filed a complaint as how is it possible that they default later than the company they sold to! 

Lady on the phone advised PRA could be wrong....if they decide that, is it possible that PRA can re-add the defaults to the same dates at NatWest?

I know it doesn't seem long to wait but I am trying get everything in order for a new mortgage and already have enough adverse stuff on credit to deal with :( 

Thank you! 

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The default should be registered by NatWest on the day they decided you defaulted
    When they sell the debt, they should mark is as closed/settled/whatever
    The new firm should register their own default backdated to match the same

Did you default in January 2018 or March / April? Was it 3 debts or 1?
  • TwirlingQueen
    First Post
    Options
    Hello, thanks for your reply 

2 separate debts both sold to PRA Group.

I cant remember what dates the original notices said but PRA defaulted both January 2018 

Natwest it seems after - 1x March 2018 & 1x April 2018

I will maybe have to request the original documents, I just don't understand how NatWest could default me later then the debt collectors they sold it to! And I don't want PRA to re-instate in NatWest decide there's are correct.....not sure if that's allowed! 
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    They can reinstate if that is the correct date but you would need to confirm with NatWest when it actually defaulted - if it was, the issue would then be PRA might realise and try and get a CCJ for the debt before the 6 years is up
  • TwirlingQueen
    First Post
    Options
    Noooo don't say that! I really hope that doesn't happen :(

I make payments every month and have been trying to get settlements so hope it wont come to a ccj! 
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Usually if not most often before a creditor or bank sells a debt on they’ll default the account on your file and send you a notice of default too (they are different things)

You need to check your NatWest records as it’s possible PRA put the wrong date on which is why it’s gone off. 

I probably wouldn’t have filed the complaint, but it’s unlikely NatWest will affect PRA in anyway either they won’t communicate at all anymore unless required after the sale I imagine.

Come May NatWest defaults should have fell off your report 
  • TwirlingQueen
    Options
    So I've checked the records that I still have access too...I'm a bit gutted as it looks like PRA have defaulted too early.

I don't have the original defaults from NatWest but looking PRA statements I started paying them later than the default date they registered so looks like NatWest dates are probably correct. I

know they will come off in May but I've started to look into a new mortgage to move etc but due to my rubbish past the rates offered are eyewatering....... I was so sure they should have matched and my financial troubles started in 2017 so I just assumed it was correct! 

Suppose Ill have to wait, just trying to clean my past report up as much as possible, really hoping NatWest just refuse my complaint and don't make Pra reinstate the defaults....although as they have been on my report for 6 years can  they actually change that? the NatWest ones obviously have theirs.

Thank you
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    You could simply call NatWest and eat some humble pie and ask them to close the complaint as your mistake then keep quiet for a few months - don't call PRA, don't mention anything, keep paying the debt (if applicable) and keep checking your credit file for anything appearing - and check your address details especially with PRA are up to date in case any last minute CCJ paperwork comes, you do not want to miss that. Then if you don't already, try and get some basic credit like a Cap One / Vanquis credit card, spend on it, pay in full every month, ditto a mobile contract, spend the next few months and onwards building a positive credit history 
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NatWest won’t get in touch with PRA you’ll be fine.

Even if they did you can’t have multiple defaults for the same debt.

if you have defaults and looking for a mortgage you need to find a good broker to help and not a mainstream lender to be fair
  • TwirlingQueen
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    You could simply call NatWest and eat some humble pie and ask them to close the complaint as your mistake then keep quiet for a few months - don't call PRA, don't mention anything, keep paying the debt (if applicable) and keep checking your credit file for anything appearing - and check your address details especially with PRA are up to date in case any last minute CCJ paperwork comes, you do not want to miss that. Then if you don't already, try and get some basic credit like a Cap One / Vanquis credit card, spend on it, pay in full every month, ditto a mobile contract, spend the next few months and onwards building a positive credit history 
    Yes I think I may have, although I reckon they will just come back and say No and Ill have to wait for April to come around. 
    I have a card that I currently do that with, most of the adverse has started to fall off now :) 
  • TwirlingQueen
    Options
    adamp87 said:
    NatWest won’t get in touch with PRA you’ll be fine.

Even if they did you can’t have multiple defaults for the same debt.

if you have defaults and looking for a mortgage you need to find a good broker to help and not a mainstream lender to be fair
    Thanks for your reply...I think they will just tell me their dates are correct and to go away ha! 

Yeah I have got one....the rate is eye watering so hoping as things improve month to month it may improve once im ready to go ahead when I find the right house! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback