Leaving Sky TV but still want to record and watch live TV - is Freesat the only alternative?

Options
skipfeeney
skipfeeney Posts: 121 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 February at 2:41PM in TV MoneySaving
Hi,

I am planning on leaving Sky due to the cost.  We do not have a TV ariel or cable TV.  We still want to watch and record live (free) TV - is a  Freesat box the only alternative? Can I not utilise the existing Sky box somehow?

PS - don't want to install a TV ariel as house is all decorated.  

Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Freesat box or a TV with Freesat built into it and a memory stick 

You can use the existing box but it won't record

Realistically do you need to record TV these days? Can you not find what you want on iPlayer and equivalents?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd really miss the record function. Many of the catch up channels won't let you fast forward. At least they don't on my set up. 🤔
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    $ky Q or $ky HD?   Q boxes are rented so must be returned.  
    HD boxes are yours and $ly used to allow a record function for a probably extortionate monthly fee.  Ask them?

freesat 4k box works with a Q LNB nothing else does.
    Swap LNB for legacy / universal and other recorders will work and possiblt TVs with satellite tuners though few brands actually support the freesat EPG.

UHF TV outside aerial installation could, if required, re-use the $ky shotgun cable hole so minimal if any issue with decorations?  Opens up a potential for more PVRs, possibly?

You can get other non freesat / freeview recording devices that can stream to other smart TVs and devices in the home = Enigma boxes.  Steepish learning curve.

Catchup and live programme streaming via the internet is also possible for some TV channels and may get more common... with the presence of ads (or pay to avoid them).?  Fire Sticks, Chrome and Apple TVs etc.,. can add such to dumb TVs.
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    Hi,

I am planning on leaving Sky due to the cost.  We do not have a TV ariel or cable TV.  We still want to watch and record live (free) TV - is a  Freesat box the only alternative? Can I not utilise the existing Sky box somehow?

Thanks

You don't says if you current Sky box is Sky+ or Sky Q?

Sky apparently offer "TV essentials" - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-essentials - no price shown there, but I've heard as high as £15/month but also some people getting it for £5 or £10 per month.
    So not free, but maybe cheaper in the short term than getting a Freesat box or a new TV with Freesat built in.
  • skipfeeney
    skipfeeney Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

You don't says if you current Sky box is Sky+ or Sky Q?

Sky apparently offer "TV essentials" - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-essentials - no price shown there, but I've heard as high as £15/month but also some people getting it for £5 or £10 per month.
    So not free, but maybe cheaper in the short term than getting a Freesat box or a new TV with Freesat built in.
    Thanks thats what I was looking for - couldn't find much info about it.  Yes its Sky Q I have
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback