EE mis-selling contract to OAP

Options
Dorastar
Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
F-i-l just got a new phone from EE in the shop and we think they've fleeced him. Gone from a Samsung to a Google Pixel 7a which he now can't work anything out on. Took about 3 hours in total in the shop  (his old phone was next to dead & they kept ignoring him) He's being charged £42.60 a month for 25GB and basically uses it for calls, texts, Facebook and photos. He got a free cover for it but he hasn't even got a plug for the charger so now he needs to get one & another for the car. Contract is 24 months and it says he doesn't own the phone for the first 6 months. Does he have any way of addressing this or getting out of it (have read up & cos he signed in person it doesn't seem likely) Same phone is £25 on Tesco mobile without the data which he'll never use, they've included insurance & EU data roaming for his 1 trip every few years. He's 80 & not in great health so quite probably already had his last trip abroad. He's also locked out of Whatsapp now & we can't work out how that's happened so still working on it! 
Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did he ask for advice from anyone, or just go to the shop on his own initiative..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • lyndawilliam
    Options
    Is it possible to sell a contract phone? Wondering 'can I sell my contract phone EE?
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When did he sign the contract as there should be a cooling off period. 
    I'm not sure how old his Samsung was but unless very old the charger for that should fit the Pixel. Also as both those makes are Android with a bit of help he should hopefully see his new phone isn't too difficult to use.
    My 84yr old fil got his first smart phone and contract last year, asked us for advice first then went into an O2 shop and sorted a contract he was happy with. He's only used his desktop computer to get online before but he soon got the hang of it. 
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Damn, just realised the OP was from a month ago 😂 someone has resurrected it with a random question. 
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He's got used to it (mostly) waiting to see if we can buy him out of the contract at some point. Went to the shop to ask and the same lady who served him was ridiculously rude to us just for asking about it. Told us it was his fault & if he wasn't happy he shouldn't have signed the contract. I can totally see how he got bamboozled into the purchase if she's that brusque with everyone.
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Peppa537 said:
    When did he sign the contract as there should be a cooling off period. 
    I'm not sure how old his Samsung was but unless very old the charger for that should fit the Pixel. Also as both those makes are Android with a bit of help he should hopefully see his new phone isn't too difficult to use.
    My 84yr old fil got his first smart phone and contract last year, asked us for advice first then went into an O2 shop and sorted a contract he was happy with. He's only used his desktop computer to get online before but he soon got the hang of it. 
    Samsung   have used USB-C for  charging for  at least 6  or 7  years   ( the  Note 7 when not Kerspolding  and  the S8 were  among the first Samsung phones with  USB -C  and IIRC the A series phones following  S8 /Note 7 were also  USBC)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback