PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is happening in the rental market?

Having bought a house, the rental property I'm currently in is on the market for new tenants. 

It's listed for hundreds more than I'm paying a month, and the number of viewings is just unreal. 

Is this typical? 

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,418
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I think rental property is in huge demand - viewings get booked up very quickly 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,116
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RHemmings said:
    Having bought a house, the rental property I'm currently in is on the market for new tenants. 

It's listed for hundreds more than I'm paying a month, and the number of viewings is just unreal. 

Is this typical? 
    The very high demand for rental property has been in the news for months/all last year.
    It is worse in some areas than others.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,029
    Forumite
    East Midlands but more central

2 bed flat this time last year was £625 now  £725 + 

My 1 bed  I moved into last  February was £625 

No increase yet 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,116
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:
    East Midlands but more central

2 bed flat this time last year was £625 now  £725 + 

My 1 bed  I moved into last  February was £625 

No increase yet 
    A friend searched Reading area for 6 months before securing a property. One bed flat - £1050 per month + bills.
    One year rent up front.
  • Try getting a rental on near minimum wage! They won’t even consider you, even if you’ve been paying your rent on time and been no trouble for decades. And if you should expect anything, like repairs done then the rent goes up or you get a section 21. But you need to live somewhere and can’t afford to save for a deposit to try and buy. 
    But yeah, rampant house price inflation is a great thing 🙄
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,150
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RHemmings said:

Is this typical? 
    The very high demand for rental property has been in the news for months/all last year.
    It is worse in some areas than others.
    Yes, but I didn't expect it to be quite like this. 
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,704
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Supple and demand, lots of potential renters and too few properties available.

Sad really.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,696
    Forumite
    Supple and demand, lots of potential renters and too few properties available.

Rental properties now go so fast that you have to be agile as well as supple!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,368
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tory government: Largely don't care about those who rent.

Others will hold alternative views.

Best wishes to all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport