Pet Insurance - Policy change problems?

Options
netty179a
netty179a Posts: 29 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 3 February at 3:31PM in Pets & pet care
Hi, please excuse this long question ...

I have a cat who is insured on a lifetime policy where any claims are per condition, not yearly spend.  Sadly she has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and needs an operation asap.  The thing is, but not my main query, that I have used the allotted amount for this years policy and have to wait until my policy renewal in mid Feb to access the next chunk of money for the operation.  She's hanging on with the help of steroids, but the renewal can't come quick enough.  I have checked with the insurance company and the vets and all is above board and it's all systems go once it's renewed. 

However, I think the insurance company are now being sneaky and it's got me stressed in an already stressful situation.  

I have today just received a letter asking if I have the breed of my cat correct in the policy.  I have her down as a British short haired cat, I'm pretty sure it didn't have moggie (their wording, not mine) as a choice and if she isn't and is just a moggie, then I need to change it on my policy and may even get a reduction and refund if the price goes down. 

Now, this is my dilemma, if I say that yes, she is indeed a moggie, which she is, and accept the reduction in policy , could this mean it's a new policy and the brain tumour then becomes a pre-existing condition and won't be covered from the renewal?  There is also the threat of not changing it and leaving it, then my policy will be null and void. 

I'm not trying to commit any kind of fraud here, I would just appreciate some advice as all I want is the best for my beautiful cat and it's fairly obvious that the insurance people just want to screw me over.

Thank you for reading my War & Peace, any constructive advice much appreciated.  
:beer: Netty179a

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport