Are my pet insurers being sneaky?

Options
Hi, please excuse this long question ...

I have a cat who is insured on a lifetime policy where any claims are per condition, not yearly spend.  Sadly she has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and needs an operation asap.  The thing is, but not my main query, that I have used the allotted amount for this years policy and have to wait until my policy renewal in mid Feb to access the next chunk of money for the operation.  She's hanging on with the help of steroids, but the renewal can't come quick enough so I can get her operated on.  I have checked with the insurance company and the vets and all is above board and it's all systems go once it's renewed. 

However, I think the insurance company are now being sneaky and it's got me stressed in an already stressful situation.  

I have today just received a letter asking if I have the breed of my cat correct in the policy.  I have her down as a British short haired cat, I'm pretty sure it didn't have moggie (their wording, not mine) as a choice and if she isn't and is just a moggie, then I need to change it on my policy and may even get a reduction and refund if the price goes down. 

Now, this is my dilemma, if I say that yes, she is indeed a moggie, which she is, and accept the reduction in policy , could this mean it's a new policy and the brain tumour then becomes a pre-existing condition and won't be covered from the renewal?  There is also the threat of not changing it and leaving it, then my policy will be null and void. 

I'm not trying to commit any kind of fraud here, I would just appreciate some advice as all I want is the best for my beautiful cat and it's fairly obvious that the insurance people just want to screw me over.

Thank you for reading my War & Peace, any constructive advice much appreciated.  
:beer: Netty179a
:beer: Netty179a

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 February at 3:40PM
    Options
    Do you have papers that say she's a specific breed?  If not I'd say she was a moggie.  But in the moggie category of course she might be considered a British short hair type cat or a Burmese type or part Siamese - given the way cats behave when the mood takes them.  

Have you made previous claims that have been paid without question?  If yes then that's what you should depend on.  I'd perhaps respond to them saying something like "my application was truthful at the time of making it and all previous claims have been paid so I wonder why this is being questioned at this time."  

Sorry to hear she's so poorly btw.  Silly little beasts overrun our lives and our hearts.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • gmje
    gmje Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Im so sorry your puss is so poorly. I think I wouldn't answer their question at this time. after all they have accepted you and you fur baby for sometime and paid claims.if !!!!!! breed is incorrect they could make the policy null and void.thats the last thing you want just now because your unlikely to get any further insurance to cover a pre existing condition . I would suggest you didn't receive the letter,afterall the post is shocking .it sounds to me that they are looking for a technicality to exit your policy. The British short haired cat does come in allsorts of colours and so if you thought that was the nearest description perhaps thats why you chose that option? but i would be very weary about your op and claim be prepared to stand up with them 
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 3 February at 5:40PM
    Options
    I made the same mistake with my late cat!
    Put her down as a British short hair which is actually a pedigree breed.
    What I should have put her down as is a domestic short hair (aka moggie). 

• netty179a
    netty179a Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 February at 7:13PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    Do you have papers that say she's a specific breed?  If not I'd say she was a moggie.  But in the moggie category of course she might be considered a British short hair type cat or a Burmese type or part Siamese - given the way cats behave when the mood takes them.  

Have you made previous claims that have been paid without question?  If yes then that's what you should depend on.  I'd perhaps respond to them saying something like "my application was truthful at the time of making it and all previous claims have been paid so I wonder why this is being questioned at this time."  

Sorry to hear she's so poorly btw.  Silly little beasts overrun our lives and our hearts.
    Thank you for your reply and concern for my cat ( i don't even want to put her name just incase they look at these forums lol, I'm so paranoid) 

She most definitely a moggie, a rescue one at that , but obviously not out to deceive the insurance company.  But I feel as if they are making out that I am with the tone of their letter.  

Now I love your advice about saying something like  "my application was truthful at the time of making it and all previous claims have been paid so I wonder why this is being questioned at this time"  and I am making note of it thanks.  There is no timeframe added to their letter so I'm going to sit on it for a few days / a week and see what happens.  

They definitely do overrun our lives haha.

OOPS ... that's a bit big , but here she is x

• netty179a
    Options
    gmje said:
    Im so sorry your puss is so poorly. I think I wouldn't answer their question at this time. after all they have accepted you and you fur baby for sometime and paid claims.if !!!!!! breed is incorrect they could make the policy null and void.thats the last thing you want just now because your unlikely to get any further insurance to cover a pre existing condition . I would suggest you didn't receive the letter,afterall the post is shocking .it sounds to me that they are looking for a technicality to exit your policy. The British short haired cat does come in allsorts of colours and so if you thought that was the nearest description perhaps thats why you chose that option? but i would be very weary about your op and claim be prepared to stand up with them 
    I'm definitely going to sit on it for a while, as you say , the post is shocking these days lol !!  Yeah, I'm going to have to think about this fully and how I'm eventually going to word my reply, I really do think they are being sneaky.  

Fingers crossed it all works for the best as I absolutely cannot afford £5k for an operation. 
  • netty179a
    Options
    KxMx said:
    I made the same mistake with my late cat!
    Put her down as a British short hair which is actually a pedigree breed.
    What I should have put her down as is a domestic short hair (aka moggie). 

It's just so confusing and insurers really don't help, they just sit there and wait for us to slip up and we loose out. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is she registered as with your vet? That is what the insurance company will compare.
  • netty179a
    Options
    sheramber said:
    What is she registered as with your vet? That is what the insurance company will compare.
    She was registered as a Domestic Shorthair.  The good news is that it's all sorted now,  I've spoken to the vets admin team and the insurance company and I've changed her breed with the assurance that it won't change the T&Cs and she will still be insured for the ongoing brain tumour once renewed.  I have also requested it in writing so as there's no confusion in future. 
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So pleased to hear that.  Hope the treatment goes well 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts