Do oil additives work?

Oil companies often try to sell additives, which they say helps keep your boiler clean, and helps the oil to burn more effectively thus generating more heat. This could be (and sounds like) a complete scam, but I suppose it might be true. Does anyone have any concrete evidence on whether these products actually work, and save oil? Or does anyone know of any organisation that has researched this in an objective way (independent of oil companies)?

Thank you - Rowan

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes they do.  However, you are better buying your own from Amazon or the like and adding it yourself.

This could be (and sounds like) a complete scam,
    Its not.  You also get versions for cars etc.  I use it on my tractor and about 1 in 4 fill ups on the cars.

They are more about the prevention of issues.  Clogging, shooting etc.   And with those less likely to build up, efficiency is maintained.  Rather than increased.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 925
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've put additive in my heating oil tank for years.

I have no evidence to prove it generates more heat, but when we finally scrapped our old Myson oil boiler a few years ago, the engineer was amazed at how clean the internal baffles were when we pulled it apart to make it easier to shift.

The same engineer has also commented on how clean the new boiler's internals have been each time he has done the annual service.

In both cases, I have no idea if this is because of the additive or because the burner fuel/air mix in both boilers was set up well.

For the last few years I have been using this : 

https://www.hydra-int.com/heating-oil-additive.html

I buy the 500ml bottles which treat 2500 litres of heating oil from either eBay or Amazon depending on whichever has the cheapest price at the time.

The last bottle cost £30.75 which works out at £12.30 per 1000 litres of fuel.

At that cost, I'm happy to continue adding it even if the benefits are unproven!
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,076
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    dunstonh said:

Its not.  You also get versions for cars etc.  I use it on my tractor and about 1 in 4 fill ups on the cars.
    Which do you use? "Soltron" used to be widely recommended among boat users, I've not bothered since we replaced the fuel tank and stopped using Red. But maybe I should try again, and try in the tractor and digger as well.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Qyburn said:
    dunstonh said:

Which do you use? "Soltron" used to be widely recommended among boat users, I've not bothered since we replaced the fuel tank and stopped using Red. But maybe I should try again, and try in the tractor and digger as well.
    I use Hydra.     The tractor can sit for long periods without use.  Often just once a week whilst I take the bins to the roadside at this time of the year and that is only half a mile.   So, the risk of settlement and build up is higher.     I have alternated between Hydra Maximus (overkill for a tractor but I use that in the land rovers - overkill for them too) or Hydra DPB100.   That is the one below Maximus and more ideally suited to Tractors and utility vehicles.  Maximus's extras are largely wasted on them but sometimes pricing puts Maximum below DPB100.    So, that usually drives my purchase decision.
    When I get my next digger, I will use it on that too from the off.

For the heating, I use Hydra Vulcan.

I had a heating engineer that did the first two services but one day the boiler failed.   He wouldn't come out at a weekend.  So, I phoned another one who came out within a couple of hours.   He fixed the issue, but he also pointed out that the sludge valve was full and probably hadn't been checked in many years and the nozzle hadn't been replaced for some time.  Sludge was the issue.  So, goodbye old engineer.  Since using the additive, the annual sludge valve check has had no build up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback