Issues with Expedia/Goldcar

Hello everyone,

I recently had a negative experience with a holiday car rental involving Expedia as the broker and Goldcar as the car rental company, which is the low-cost subsidiary of Europcar. Goldcar refused to provide me with the car, citing the reason that my Business Visa credit card (with my name printed on it), issued by Capital One, was not accepted for the deposit because they only acknowledge Visa cards from banks with physical branches. This requirement was not mentioned in either their terms and conditions or the Expedia voucher. As a result, I had to rent from Avis directly at the airport at a premium price, using the same credit card to pay the deposit without any issues.

I attempted to contact both Goldcar and Expedia regarding this issue, but they seem to be avoiding responsibility, each blaming the other. I am not overly concerned about the financial loss, but I am deeply frustrated by the breach of contract. There is no indication anywhere that your Visa must be from a major bank with physical branches.

I'm seeking advice on whether there is an ombudsman to address this matter or if I can take legal action against Expedia, the broker with whom I signed the contract. To clarify, my primary concern is not the financial aspect, but rather the desire to prevent others from facing similar injustices.

Thank you for any guidance or insights you can provide.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback