Water and sewerage bills to rise by £28 a year in England and Wales and by £36 a year in Scotland

Options
MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Post Name Dropper
edited 8 February at 12:26PM in Water bills
The majority of households in England, Scotland and Wales will see water bills rise from April. However, prices vary depending on where you live and not everyone will see an increase.

See our full breakdown:

Water and sewerage bills to rise by £28 a year in England and Wales and by £36 a year in Scotland – here's what's happening where you live

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• frosch411
    frosch411 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I think this is outrageous given the poor performance of water companies.
    Weren't they being issued 7-figure penalties that were meant to actually lower consumer bills?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wessex were said to be the second most expensive company for many years and still get to impose one of the biggest increases. On these figures they are now worse than South West Water before the government contribution!
  • PThomas_2
    PThomas_2 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my bill for the past 6 months, South West Water, the charges for sewage are almost twice the cost of providing fresh water. Yet, I regularly receive alerts of sewage discharge from SWW into the local rivers and sea. Absolutely appalling that they can get away with such a high cost AND very poor service!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PThomas_2 said:
    Just had my bill for the past 6 months, South West Water, the charges for sewage are almost twice the cost of providing fresh water. Yet, I regularly receive alerts of sewage discharge from SWW into the local rivers and sea. Absolutely appalling that they can get away with such a high cost AND very poor service!
    The cost is not high though, we actually do not pay enough, even if one ignored the cost of dividend payments and executive bonuses we still do not pay enough to properly fund the investment needed in the water supply and sewerage treatment systems. 
  • gamblek
    gamblek Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thames Water have hit us with a 12.6% increase on our one-bedroom London flat's bill. That's a rise of £49.89 since 2023. The MSE article about water price hikes, listed that Thames would increase by 3%, that's a massive undervaluation compared to 12.6%. How can Thames Water justify this, and is it possible to dispute this increase? 
  • antzokay135
    Options
    Hi,

I'd like to know how Molly worked out the price increases. In the table it states that Severn Trent customers would rise by 7%. I've just received our bill and it has risen 15.5% and we are low users in a 2 bed semi-detached house. Why such a difference?
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    gamblek said:
    Thames Water have hit us with a 12.6% increase on our one-bedroom London flat's bill. That's a rise of £49.89 since 2023. The MSE article about water price hikes, listed that Thames would increase by 3%, that's a massive undervaluation compared to 12.6%. How can Thames Water justify this, and is it possible to dispute this increase? 
    Thames Water themselves say prices are rising by 12.3% in April. They explain why the prices are being increased, what the additional revenue is going to be spend on and it has all been signed off by Ofwat. No it is not possible to dispute the increase. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Hi,

I'd like to know how Molly worked out the price increases. In the table it states that Severn Trent customers would rise by 7%. I've just received our bill and it has risen 15.5% and we are low users in a 2 bed semi-detached house. Why such a difference?
    If your usage has not changed and unless you use nearly no water st all I cannot see how 15.5% would be possible. The largest increases are for unmetered users, metered and assessed charges have risen by around half of unmetered costs. 

Are you metered, assessed or unmetered and if you are metered is your usage the same or has it risen?
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February at 4:24PM
    Options
    I wish it was only up by £26 mine has increased £88, a 13.7% increase outrageous severn trent 
  • GRUMPYBM
    GRUMPYBM Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
     IS THERE DIFFERENT INCREASES THEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A METER FITTED? MY BILL FOR  SEVERN TRENT HAS RISEN BY £100.82  THAT IS 13% FOR A NON METERED SERVICE.
    \
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure