Carpet return

Hi all been a while since I’ve been in here! 

We recently bought carpets online and had them independently fitted. All look great but noticed a fault line in one after we’d hoovered. Neither myself or fitter noticed it previously. They’ve intimated that due to it now being fitted/cut, we or fitter should have checked it prior and wouldn’t be entitled to a return. Pretty sure this isn’t right but wanted to check rights. Ta

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,305
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 February at 10:58AM
    If the carpet has a fault they should repair or replace and cover the cost of doing so. 

The idea of accepting goods (i.e a period passing where it was deemed to accept the goods as they are) went out the window as the Consumer Rights Act has no such stipulation. :) 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 820
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If it wasn't visible to either yourself or the fitter at the time it was laid then could you possibly have pulled a thread when vacuuming ?
  • Thanks that’s what I thought. This is a company that sell remnants but it was clear these particular carpets were without fault some have faults but are clearly labelled before purchase. I’ll go back to them with that if they chose to go down that route! 
  • Ayr_Rage said:
    If it wasn't visible to either yourself or the fitter at the time it was laid then could you possibly have pulled a thread when vacuuming ?
    I don’t know but never heard of a hoover doing this and would have noticed a pull if we had I’d have thought 🤷🏼‍♂️ Has never happened before to any carpets we’ve had, there are two perpendicular to each other, it didn’t happen to the other carpets. Not sure how ‘they our us’ would prove either way tbh but am pretty sure it’s a manufacturing fault. Fitter suggests it is. He’s been doing it 56 years. Am sure they’ll sort it out for us. 👍🏼👍🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,308
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've returned two carpets. 
    One a remnant which when laid had a cut across the backing. I demanded a replacement laid, 2 page letter i remember, because they said it was a remnant and the damage not marked.

The second had a crease or two which they said would flatten out. But I made the complaint the following day. Waited the 2weeks they said and of course it hadn't so I went back and pestered.

Go for it. Use email or letter to get response in writing.
    Eyeball to eyeball is better as it's less easy to fib which is why I go local. So I can get at them if there's a problem  ;)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• So…they’re using this clause…awaiting a call to discuss. 

It would have been impossible to check the goods on delivery plus impossible to check before cutting and fitting due to the space involved. They were also not noticed until after hoovering. 

Inspecting the goods. All deliveries must be inspected upon receipt and any damage or other discrepancy noted on delivery must be notified immediately to the carrier. You must also ensure that the goods are thoroughly inspected before cutting and/or installing of them. If any defects are found, you must notify us immediately (and in any event, within 5 days of taking delivery of the goods). If you fail to provide such notice, you are deemed to have accepted the goods as being compliant, in all respects, with the terms of the order and our contract. Please note that any goods that have been cut, modified or installed cannot be returned to us. We will also not accept any liability or responsibility for any folding or crease marks in the goods that result from the removal of the pole and/or bending of the goods. Any items missing from an order must be notified to us within three days of the intended delivery date.
  • Postik
    Postik Posts: 401
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So…they’re using this clause…awaiting a call to discuss. 

It would have been impossible to check the goods on delivery plus impossible to check before cutting and fitting due to the space involved. They were also not noticed until after hoovering. 

Inspecting the goods. All deliveries must be inspected upon receipt and any damage or other discrepancy noted on delivery must be notified immediately to the carrier. You must also ensure that the goods are thoroughly inspected before cutting and/or installing of them. If any defects are found, you must notify us immediately (and in any event, within 5 days of taking delivery of the goods). If you fail to provide such notice, you are deemed to have accepted the goods as being compliant, in all respects, with the terms of the order and our contract. Please note that any goods that have been cut, modified or installed cannot be returned to us. We will also not accept any liability or responsibility for any folding or crease marks in the goods that result from the removal of the pole and/or bending of the goods. Any items missing from an order must be notified to us within three days of the intended delivery date.

Hope you get it sorted, I think it would be nigh on impossible to check an entire carpet prior to it being fitted.  There might well be marks and creases which disappear after fitting, and others which you can't notice until afterwards.

I have heard it's possible to pull a thread with a vacuum and create a line (a bit like pulling a thread on a piece of clothing and it gradually unravels leaving a line).  Fortunately I've never had this happen and I don't know how you could avoid it other than not vacuum, or snip the thread before it gets caught in the vacuum.  If it happened shortly afterwards I would put it down to a manufacturing fault.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When you purchase as a consumer, as you did, you have statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act and others. The seller can add other terms into the contract but are in addition to your statutory rights, they can't take away any of your statutory rights.
    Their rubbishy 'Inspecting your goods' contract term seeks to limit your rights so can be ignored.

As @the_lunatic_is_in_my_head helpfully summarised above, basically your legal rights are that if the carpet had a fault when you purchased it they should repair or replace and cover the cost of doing so. 

It is reasonable to have a discussion with them, and to allow them to examine the carpet, but make it clear to them that you know your statutory rights
  • Thanks both. Yes I’m awaiting that very conversation with them. Thanks. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,308
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's perfectly reasonable that most people couldn't inspect a carpet due to size, weight, space etc.
    I would keep it to it wasn't possible to unwrap, re roll to inspect the carpet while delivery was waiting which would be normal for the majority of the population.
    Don't say why.

I'm guessing that they will quote their rules in the first instance. In which case ask to go to the manager.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport