water rates band a and how much your property could be let for to provide bill price

MY WATER CHARGES ARE 605.46 FOR YEAR for a pre war house. so i started questioning this and asked neibours with same house what are they  being charged for water.
it came out i was paying 163 pounds more than some and 56 pounds more than a few others.  (none where the same on 6 houses i asked)
we all live in the same street we are in band A council tax. same bedrooms etc etc.
So I got on to united utility and asked what band they where using for me. it turns out the don't use a band like martins video . It is base on 1990 what your house can be rented for which comes from the government this fig is shown on your bill as a fixed charge for water and waste water shown on page 2 of your bill. They also went on to tell me if you had a street light outside your house a park behind your house this rentable value could be higher for different houses of the same nature in the street. ABSOLUTLY BONKER!!!  
i THEN ASKED CAN YOU PROVIDE ME WITH THE GOV WEB SITE WHERE I CAN CHECK MY RENTAL VALUE . no he couldn't
Maybe on one of your next shows you could elaborate on this more to people. I have also contacted the CCW to get info but they could not point me to a site that gave me my rental value. my only thought is to go to a water meter but these are pre war houses which one line from street feeds two semi detached house.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,672
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A true money saving reply to that would be to ask why wouldnt a water meter save you money?

I would be saving £300 a year based on the amount you are paying.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A bit pendantic perhaps, but I think you'll find it;s rateable value, not rental value.

In England and Wales, rates were the precursor to the short-lived community charge and then current council tax as a means of local authorities raising money. I think the system is still in use on Northern Ireland. 

If you don't have a water meter, then the rateable value of your property should be shown on your water bill. 
  • MINKATHECAT
    MINKATHECAT Posts: 15
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A bit pendantic perhaps, but I think you'll find it;s rateable value, not rental value.

In England and Wales, rates were the precursor to the short-lived community charge and then current council tax as a means of local authorities raising money. I think the system is still in use on Northern Ireland. 

If you don't have a water meter, then the rateable value of your property should be shown on your water bill. 

on page 2 you will see a rate for waste water and water this fig is the rate your house can be rentable at x by the rate. this figure is given to them by the gov body. i always thought it was on the council tax rate but it goes back to 1990 with pole tax etc. my rentable value is 156 pounds. if you don't have a water meter look at your bill. its stupid i know but this is what i was told and all the houses in the street are the same with not one the same water rates.
  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RV has nothing to do with CT banding.
  • MINKATHECAT
    MINKATHECAT Posts: 15
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the outcome is they cant fit a water meter cos its a shared line so they are going to give me an average bill.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback