Migration notice defer ?

durham05
durham05 Posts: 2,019
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 1 February at 7:05AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi have had my migration notice 
Oldest child is in his 3rd year of college, wondering if I can defer my notice as once he leaves college this year won’t be be entitled to UC. So in July.
if not I have some questions, I had a gateway previous but can’t remember details can I register but on my current email. Oh pay is on the 25th monthly when would be best to swap over. We have savings as we are saving for a new to us car. Do u get the amount u would get reduced because of this with migrating. 
once oldest leaves education can I close claim, as would no longer then get any UC and is this easy to do. Thanks 

Comments

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,215
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have a child aged 19 you can defer your migration.  The journey to do so seems a little hit and miss, depending on who you speak to on the helpline. 
    You can retrieve your old gateway details and it might be easier than setting up a new account as the system may pick up your old account from your details. 

Once you migrate you’ll get a years protected, so any savings above £16K will be ignored, however if there is a change in circumstance this may end your protection. 

I cant advise you regarding the best date to migrate but hopefully you wont need this at present as your migration may be deferred.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • durham05
    Forumite
    Child is 18 but the youngest in his year, so 3rd year course. So seems I can’t defer anyway.
  • durham05
    Forumite
    Can I get an extension to the migration date, rather than deferred as once oldest finishes course and we tell them the claim would stop 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,714
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don’t think you can defer this because of their age. There would be entitlement to child element of UC until they finish full time education. 
  • durham05
    Forumite
    I don’t think you can defer this because of their age. There would be entitlement to child element of UC until they finish full time education. 
    Do you know if u can get you migration date extended thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,714
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No, you need to claim by the date in the letter otherwise your Tax credits will stop. 
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 273
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    After reading some earlier posts on the forum about deferring migration I contacted the UC helpline on the 0800 number and requested that our managed migration be deferred.
    When asked the reason for my request I stated a child who will turn 19 during this academic year, and is still in full time education.
    I have managed to get a 4 week extension to my initial migration date but will continue to pursue for deferral
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2023:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,263
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    edited 3 February at 9:28AM
    bizzie said:
    After reading some earlier posts on the forum about deferring migration I contacted the UC helpline on the 0800 number and requested that our managed migration be deferred.
    When asked the reason for my request I stated a child who will turn 19 during this academic year, and is still in full time education.
    I have managed to get a 4 week extension to my initial migration date but will continue to pursue for deferral
    My situation was similar except that my child was due to turn 19 before our initial migration date, which may have made a difference. Not sure you'll be able to get it deferred/cancelled if your child turns 19 in a few months' time (and after your migration date)

The following link explains things quite well:

https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/existing-tax-credit-claimants/managed-migration/managed-migration-process/
  • sunny321
    sunny321 Posts: 7
    First Post
    Forumite
    bizzie said:
    Interesting. Update us about your outcome when you know it.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,846
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    has to be 19 to cancel migration
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback