Just been told that the seats I booked aren't really booked?

Options
Jon_01
Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 31 January at 7:37PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Anyone had this happen?

Back in Oct I booked flights to Seoul for my wife and daughter.
At the start of Jan I had to change the return date.  The system confirmed the change and said something like 'The same seats have been assigned on the new date.' and gave the seat numbers.

I've just had to call the airline about something else and been told that there are no seats booked for the return leg and that the flight is 99% full and there are only the odd single seats, middle row, dotted around!
I tried to explain what their system had said when I changed the date, and they're not interested, I was told to tell them to take it up with check in at Seoul on the way back!  Surely a prime case of passing the buck!

Now, my daughter gets very travel sick and needs to sit next to the aisle to dash to the loo (lots).

Anyone suggest what, if anything, we can do?  They fly out on Monday and return on the 17th.

The airline is Korean Air and the flights were booked directly with them...

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably little that can be done in terms of the seat selection as airlines will always have a clause that seat selections are not guaranteed and can be subject to change.

Doing as suggested and asking at check-in at Seoul is likely the best option, being polite and explaining the situation.  They may keep seats back that aren't pre-bookable online.   If nothing can be done there, trying again once onboard with the cabin crew is another option.  You could also keep an eye on the seat map periodically between now and the return date might also be worthwhile in case any seats come available.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,053 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Jon_01 said:
    Anyone had this happen?

Back in Oct I booked flights to Seoul for my wife and daughter.
    At the start of Jan I had to change the return date.  The system confirmed the change and said something like 'The same seats have been assigned on the new date.' and gave the seat numbers.

I've just had to call the airline about something else and been told that there are no seats booked for the return leg and that the flight is 99% full and there are only the odd single seats, middle row, dotted around!
    I tried to explain what their system had said when I changed the date, and they're not interested, I was told to tell them to take it up with check in at Seoul on the way back!  Surely a prime case of passing the buck!

Now, my daughter gets very travel sick and needs to sit next to the aisle to dash to the loo (lots).

Anyone suggest what, if anything, we can do?  They fly out on Monday and return on the 17th.

The airline is Korean Air and the flights were booked directly with them...

How old is your daughter, air authorities recommend that children are not sat alone. 

Being travel sick is miserable, if none of the over the counter medicines work I would consider booking a doctor’s appointment to discuss options. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback