Cutting my energy use to save so little for me

MikeJXE
MikeJXE Posts: 3,022
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 1 February at 12:49PM in Energy

I thought I would share how I had saved money by cutting down on my electric usage and wonder how others have done

Electric kWh.    Cost     Standing charge    Total

2021.   864     276.63         103.00               379.63.  2 bed flat dual fuel EPC C

2022.   741     365.60         127.00               492.00.  2 bed flat dual fuel EPC C

2023.   587     174.55         173.62               347.52.  1 bed flat dual fuel EPC B

Good that the network charges for Gas, National Rail, Water, Broadband and Mobile don’t go up as fast or we would be in a cost of living crisis.

Could the increase in the electricity network be to accommodate the extra needed for an EV for the wealthy, or heat pump and selling back excess to the grid from Solar Power for the same wealthy minority ?

Comments

• Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 876
    Forumite
    edited 31 January at 3:36PM
    MikeJXE said:

Could the increase in the electricity network be to accommodate the extra needed for an EV for the wealthy, or heat pump and selling back excess to the grid from Solar Power for the same wealthy minority ?

I guess you would prefer us all to carry on burning fossil fuels.

6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,627
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are plenty of social housing tenants with solar power and/or heat pumps. Hardly "the wealthy".
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,542
    Forumite
    Most EV owners charge overnight & around once a week at most. So the hit on network is not there.
    Life in the slow lane
  • MikeJXE
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    There are plenty of social housing tenants with solar power and/or heat pumps. Hardly "the wealthy".
    I doubt very much the tenants paid for that luxury 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,140
    Forumite
    edited 31 January at 4:05PM
    MikeJXE said:
    QrizB said:
    I doubt very much the tenants paid for that luxury 
    We didn't.  That's irrelevant to your original comment taking about upgrading the grid:
    MikeJXE said:

(Incidentally there are also Motability vehicles that are EVs too, the owners of which are unlikely to be wealthy since disabled people statistically are more likely to be living in poverty than nondisabled people.)
  • MikeJXE
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your replies but I'm not about to get into an argument with ECO activists or whatever they are called.

I posted the facts on my energy usage, how it had increased not just for me but everyone. It seems no one wants to compare. 

Regarding carrying on using fossil fuel. we haven't a lot of choice, we can't make electricity without them and if anyone thinks we will be free of them by 2050 they are living in cuckoo land 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,093
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:
    Thanks for all your replies but I'm not about to get into an argument with ECO activists or whatever they are called.

I posted the facts on my energy usage, how it had increased not just for me but everyone. It seems no one wants to compare. 

Regarding carrying on using fossil fuel. we haven't a lot of choice, we can't make electricity without them and if anyone thinks we will be free of them by 2050 they are living in cuckoo land 
    You didn't ask anyone to compare. You asked if cost increases have been put in place to benefit the wealthy. And you got answers to that question.
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 876
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:

Looking at what you posted, your energy usage has actually decreased each year. So has mine.
    I'm not an ECO activist, but do care about the environment and my children/grandchildren.
    Here's some news for you: it is possible to make electricity without fossil fuels and has been for over 200 years.
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,745
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 January at 4:45PM
    MikeJXE said:

You didn't ask anyone to compare. You asked if cost increases have been put in place to benefit the wealthy. And you got answers to that question.
    Indeed the old fella ( I can say that as previously we have discussed age and over 80 so this is not inaccurate in any way) was inciting the responses he got. 

I believe I have also put forward ECO4 incentives his way but he rents and that was an end to that conversation some months back. 
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,674
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The other Mike (Palin) was only looking for a 10 minute argument ... our one had the full 1 hour.  ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure