IKEA Pax wardrobe or solid wood?

ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Having watched some YouTube videos I’m confused about whether it’s worth paying extra for a solid wood wardrobe or even if I’m getting solid wood at all. I have no knowledge about these things and there seems to be a lot of companies advertising furniture as ‘solid wood’ when it isn’t. I wouldn’t be able to tell. 

This is the one I’m considering: https://furniture123.co.uk/julian-bowen-marlborough-3-door-wardrobe-mar210

The IKEA Pax is significantly cheaper. It’s for a small bedroom and the wardrobe would need dismantling whenever the room needs decorating in future. From what I’ve read, the Pax is unlikely to survive that but I’m not sure if the solid wood one would either? Perhaps it would be less hassle to replace the Pax wardrobe than pay someone to dismantle and reassemble a solid wood wardrobe each time (I couldn’t do it myself). I’m not even sure if solid wood is better because I’ve read it can warp in sunlight and the room is very bright. The IKEA stuff is basically cardboard from what I can tell which makes me worry about mould. It will be on vinyl, not carpet, and I like to mop a lot so the raw edges could absorb water. 

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. 

ETA: I did initially want second hand good quality wood furniture but the logistics are a nightmare and after being messed about by various Facebook marketplace/Gumtree sellers I’ve decided to buy new. 

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,687
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 9:00AM
    I don't recall there being any raw edges on a pax, it's not so common to have any raw edges on IKEA furniture. They are strong enough when built but is perhaps not the first thing to build from the IKEA range for a novice, more involved than a Kallax or Billy. Dismantling can be done but ideally by someone who has built one or at very least done using the build instructions in reverse. And they must understand how the cam connectors work...

If you want to mop under it you could consider raising it on legs and tiring it properly to a wall.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,521
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:

The IKEA stuff is basically cardboard from what I can tell which makes me worry about mould. It will be on vinyl, not carpet, and I like to mop a lot so the raw edges could absorb water. 

If you slosh a lot of water around when mopping then solid wood is going to get damaged too.

The last PAX I put together was still made from chipboard, not "cardboard". Don't believe everything people write on the internet.

One PAX I've disassembled and reassembled for someone through four house moves - if people take care then there is no reason why PAX would get damaged more than the equivalent 'solid wood' product... and as you've guessed, most 'solid wood' isn't any such thing.
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 532
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:
    Having watched some YouTube videos I’m confused about whether it’s worth paying extra for a solid wood wardrobe or even if I’m getting solid wood at all. I have no knowledge about these things and there seems to be a lot of companies advertising furniture as ‘solid wood’ when it isn’t. I wouldn’t be able to tell. 

This is the one I’m considering: https://furniture123.co.uk/julian-bowen-marlborough-3-door-wardrobe-mar210

The IKEA Pax is significantly cheaper. It’s for a small bedroom and the wardrobe would need dismantling whenever the room needs decorating in future. From what I’ve read, the Pax is unlikely to survive that but I’m not sure if the solid wood one would either? Perhaps it would be less hassle to replace the Pax wardrobe than pay someone to dismantle and reassemble a solid wood wardrobe each time (I couldn’t do it myself). I’m not even sure if solid wood is better because I’ve read it can warp in sunlight and the room is very bright. The IKEA stuff is basically cardboard from what I can tell which makes me worry about mould. It will be on vinyl, not carpet, and I like to mop a lot so the raw edges could absorb water. 

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. 

ETA: I did initially want second hand good quality wood furniture but the logistics are a nightmare and after being messed about by various Facebook marketplace/Gumtree sellers I’ve decided to buy new. 
    Try local auction houses, good places to find decent furniture and they will have contacts for delivery companies
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 719
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Would you consider having a wardrobe ‘built in’ by a builder? I’m thinking proper stud partition plastered and decorated including skirting board to match the existing decor. With a set of mirrored sliding doors that will also make the room appear more spacious. That way you can choose the size you want. They usually go right up to the ceiling as well, so they have coving to match the existing decor too. Provides useful extra storage space for xmas decorations or suitcases or other stuff you don’t need to access too often. 

Alternatively people are often crying out to get rid of old wardrobes - don’t know why - I inherited a beautiful old wardrobe that holds all the hanging clothes I need and more. Complete with full-length mirror inside on door. Charity shops often have them, but you do have to check before buying that they are deep enough to accommodate a full-size coat hanger. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. I have looked at local auction houses but they don’t have anything that would fit. It’s a very small terraced house and even a simple double wardrobe has no chance of being manoeuvred around the top of my stairs. I think this is probably why large second hand furniture is so cheap and sometimes it can’t even be given away; It’s impossible to get it into the house. Whatever I buy will have to be assembled in the room. I’ve thought about a built-in wardrobe but it seems much more expensive. People seem to pay thousands for it. Also, the position of my windows and layout of the room would make it difficult to find a suitable place. 

I won’t be assembling the wardrobe, whatever I buy. I’ll be hiring a man for that. I’m wondering if the ‘solid wood’ one I linked to will be easier to move each time I redecorate but perhaps it wouldn’t be much different to the Pax. 
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,521
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:

I won’t be assembling the wardrobe, whatever I buy. I’ll be hiring a man for that. I’m wondering if the ‘solid wood’ one I linked to will be easier to move each time I redecorate but perhaps it wouldn’t be much different to the Pax. 
    I agree, there's unlikely to be much difference between Ikea chipbord and anyone else's solid wood.

If you are concerned about moving the wardrobe for decorating then one option is to consider fitting some heavy duty swivel castors to the base in lieu of the supplied legs/feet.  Just as an example - https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-tpr-swivel-castor-50mm/879kh

But only do so if the top of the wardrobe can be securely fixed to the wall behind.  With a vinyl floor rather than carpet you won't need the castors to be much higher than the normal gap between the wardrobe base and the floor, so it won't add much to the overall height (a few mm at most).

As the castors would need to be fitted to the base you should probably have some strengthening (e.g. angle brackets) fitted to the joins between the base and the side panels, as most modern-style wardrobe designs are intended to transfer the majority of the weight of the wardrobe+contents to the floor via the side panels, not via the base.  Take advice from your hired person as to what would be safe.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,320
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 1:49PM
    Section62 said:

The last PAX I put together was still made from chipboard, not "cardboard". Don't believe everything people write on the internet.

Purchased from Ikea last year for wardrobes and went with the PLATSA range, the inside of the units and shelves is indeed cardboard in a sort of honeycomb shape, surprising study considering, no experience with PAX which of course may be different. 

OP I purchase a "solid wood" TV cabinet 18 months ago, from afar it looks fine, close up the shelves were rough, the cuts to the more hidden parts of timber were real bad, a blunt spoon would give a better finish and the cut out for the cables at the rear was a mess. 

Most annoying aspect is the knots are now showing through the paint. Seems it was made in Vietnam, a fair few furniture outlets seem to sell such stuff, all under different collection names of course. 

Purchased from eBay, we have a flat pack coffee table which was surprisingly very good quality, we have some flat pack bookcases which are just utter tat. 

The best piece of furniture in our house is a triple wardrobe purchased about 15 years ago from Oak Land Furniture, picked up a matching chest of drawers a few years back and quality is just the same.

Pricy but will last a life time. 

The one in your link looks fine, shame there's no customer reviews on it, can you find similar from a website that has reviews for each product? 

I don't think there's much wrong with the Ikea stuff, if you go down the that route worth paying the extra for soft close hinges. 

Edited to add, this is what we have:

https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/french-farmhouse-rustic-solid-oak-triple-wardrobe/1687.html

We added our own shelves to the single door section. Whether you get a better quality build for the extra £350 over the one in your link or whether you are paying for the TV ads, stores, customer service, etc I don't know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223493246979

Looks the same to me but I'm not sure. 
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    @the_lunatic_is_in_my_head The only thing that puts me off Oak Furnitureland is that they say the wardrobes are delivered in two sections (not flat pack) and it just needs the top section attached to the base on delivery. With the size of a triple wardrobe, I don’t think the top section would fit up the stairs. 

I’ve found a few reviews on Amazon for the one in my link. They’re mixed, and one mentions that the wardrobe door has warped 😕. I still like it because it’s on legs which means I can clean underneath it and less chance of mould but it’s a lot of money (to me at least). 
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,320
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 4:38PM
    ripplyuk said:
    @the_lunatic_is_in_my_head The only thing that puts me off Oak Furnitureland is that they say the wardrobes are delivered in two sections (not flat pack) and it just needs the top section attached to the base on delivery. With the size of a triple wardrobe, I don’t think the top section would fit up the stairs. 

I’ve found a few reviews on Amazon for the one in my link. They’re mixed, and one mentions that the wardrobe door has warped 😕. I still like it because it’s on legs which means I can clean underneath it and less chance of mould but it’s a lot of money (to me at least). 
    It was a long time ago so things might have changed but the bottom part with the drawers came in a big box already assembled and the top part was flat packed with some basic assembly required. 

If you called them I'm sure they'd be able to confirm. 

The link above was incorrect, this is what we have 

https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/original-rustic-solid-oak-triple-wardrobe/1160.html

It's only abut 2 inches off the ground so you wouldn't get a mop underneath.

One issue with oak is when it gets wet the wood can turn black which looks unsightly. Some kind of coaster or plastic/rubber feet added might not be a bad idea if you are going to mop around it, whatever option you go for.

If you went for Ikea you could possibly put it on legs to raise off the floor if you have the height in the room. 

I hate buying furniture, as you say it's a lot of money and so hard to tell online what the quality is going to be like. Do you have any of the big chain furniture stores nearby to see the wardrobes in the flesh? 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We bought our wardrobes from John Lewis ,they were Italian flat pack design but really good quality ,we saw the units in the shop assembled so knew they would br ok ,cannot remember the price but they were not cheap but not too expensive ,we have bought Ikea ones for our grandchildren and you get what you pay for.
    Bring back MFI at least they always had a sale on :):):)  
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback