Would an unpaid medical bill through a debt collection agency end up on my credit report?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've recently been dealing with a few health problems. I was unable to receive a scan through the NHS, which left me with little choice but to go through private healthcare in order to determine the cause of my health issues.

The cost of the CT scan I had was about £1400. This was self-funded without health insurance or a finance plan. 

I just recently received an invoice for the cost of the scan, but I haven't paid for it yet. Unfortunately, I'm in a position where it would be easier for me to make a payment in a few months because of my financial situation. 

Unpaid medical bills are usually sent to debt collection agencies based on what I've read, so I anticipate this will be the next step. My intention is to wait until March when I will have no trouble making the payment. I would also be more than happy to pay the entire amount through a debt agency if that were to happen. 

Though saying all of this, the possibility of it appearing on my credit report is all that worries me. If that were to be the case, I would have to find a way to pay the bill immediately.

To be clear, I do intend to pay the amount. However given my current financial situation, I really do need the additional time.

My question - would an unpaid medical bill sent to a debt collection agency appear on my credit report? 

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    No. It's not consumer credit.

If you let it get to the point of a court claim, any ccj would appear.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,062 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    best thing with any debt, particularly when you know you will be able to pay, is to ring them up and tell them the when and how much.  that way they don't waste their time and yours on nasty letters.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^ I agree. If you explain the situation to them and say that you will pay in March they will probably be prepared to wait and not start sending you debt letters. Could you give them a small amount now  - say £100 - to show good faith?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^ I agree. If you explain the situation to them and say that you will pay in March they will probably be prepared to wait and not start sending you debt letters. Could you give them a small amount now  - say £100 - to show good faith?
    This. Also if you do nothing and it goes to debt collectors, fees would be added to the amount due.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 January at 1:24PM
    Options
    The company will initially just assign the debt to a collector, who will attempt to contact you for payment.

Telling them you will pay in two months probably won`t wash, as they will likely just inform the client, and send it back to them, they won`t wait that long for payment.

It will depend on how fast this plays out, but it will likely be rinse and repeat with another collector, or they may choose the legal approach.

On the other hand if you just let them run through there standard bunch of letters etc, March will be here before we know it.

Interest and charges cannot be added to any debt unless the original contract allowed for it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • SebastianB
    Options
    The company will initially just assign the debt to a collector, who will attempt to contact you for payment.

Telling them you will pay in two months probably won`t wash, as they will likely just inform the client, and send it back to them, they won`t wait that long for payment.

It will depend on how fast this plays out, but it will likely be rinse and repeat with another collector, or they may choose the legal approach.

On the other hand if you just let them run through there standard bunch of letters etc, March will be here before we know it.

Interest and charges cannot be added to any debt unless the original contract allowed for it.
    So to be sure in the event of this whole process - the bill being forwarded to a debt collector. This will not show on my credit report due to it not being consumer credit?

I generally assumed that anything put to a debt collection agency under your name would end up on your credit file?
  • SebastianB
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Yes I have considered making a small payment and I do plan to call the hospital to propose that. Think I will go ahead with that sometime next week.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you know you will struggle to make the payment, ring now, not after dinner, not tomorrow, not next week, now, get it done. 

Get it on record early and ask for consideration and have a budget plan prepared. The longer you leave it the more likely you will forget or it drags on and they lose sympathy
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

So to be sure in the event of this whole process - the bill being forwarded to a debt collector. This will not show on my credit report due to it not being consumer credit?

I generally assumed that anything put to a debt collection agency under your name would end up on your credit file?
    Never assume anything, always best to ask if unsure, only consumer credit is recorded on your credit file, along with certain utilities.

If legal action were taken, that would show in the public information section.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback