We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vietnam - any recent experience of local SIM/eSIM use

Options
Travelling to Vietnam in a month, will be there for 3 weeks or so.

My UK SIMs do not provide roaming (well, Vodafone do at £7/day) so I'd appreciate any recent advice. Ideally I'd like a local number for voice/SMS as well as a decent amount of data.

There are a lot of eSIM advertisers all claiming to be the best and not much actual advice when Googling so any information gratefully received. 

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The last time I was in Vietnam I just picked up a local SIM at the airport on arrival. Can't remember the name of network but it worked well and was cheap.

I used an eSIM in Thailand last year through Airalo and it worked brilliantly from the moment the plane landed. They do have packages for Vietnam (https://www.airalo.com/vietnam-esim). Most places will have free wifi so you shouldn't need that much data. 5 or 10 GB for 3 weeks should be enough. Also have a search for Airalo discount codes as there are loads about.

The advantage of an eSIM is that you keep your regular SIM active which can be useful for incoming authentication texts for banking etc or emergency calls from home.
  • Bicycleman22
    Bicycleman22 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes definitely buy there....In the airport is easy they will sort out everything for you as well. Exchange rates are good in HCMC airport so if you are landing there just change some money and get a sim at the same kiosk. Hanoi is probably the same.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vietnam is a Three "Go Roam" destination, so a Three PAYG SIM with a data pack purchased would also work. However that won't cover your need for a local number, so buying a SIM there is likely a better solution for you.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    Vietnam is a Three "Go Roam" destination, so a Three PAYG SIM with a data pack purchased would also work. However that won't cover your need for a local number, so buying a SIM there is likely a better solution for you.
    Thanks for that, yes I'd noticed that Three PAYG included VN, a SIM has been sourced and loaded onto my partner's phone. Looking for another solution for myself. 

Bit more reading is suggesting that getting a short-term (tourist) eSIM when arrived might be problematic.
  • Tabby_cat
    Tabby_cat Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I travelled the length of Vietnam, had a few days in Siem Reap in Cambodia and had a stop over in Singapore last November. I installed an Airalo esim easily and bought their Asia combined package. Being a solo traveller and being "directionally challenged" I wanted google maps to work without drama. Airalo fitted the bill, and worked perfectly, and as it only activates on arrival, you can buy any time. You just need to follow their comprehensive instructions before you leave. Recommended. 
  • Diddidi
    Diddidi Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did 3 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia in December and just used free WiFi which was available everywhere in restaurants, cafes and hotels for both data and calls. For Google maps, I downloaded the relevant map offline and it worked perfectly. I had put some money on my Lebara account prior to leaving with a view to using it for calls or roaming while out there but in the end I didn’t use any of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure