Experience of Spousal Maintenance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have known it come up on here before but very very occasionally and probably not on this board. I recall one lady had been given maybe 5 years that she'd receive spousal maintenance for, I believe that was time to get her youngest child to f-time school plus study for a degree. It might be that the educational level of the person requesting it comes into play too, so if you have 2 kids who are already school age plus you have a degree  then  it's even less likely you'd receive it. 
  • MrE1
    MrE1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hmmm, thank you for everyone's feedback. I gather from it that Spousal Maintenance is rare in the UK (unless amicably agreed outside of court) but it may be worth looking into how the benefits system may help. Thank you once again for everyone's comments, it potentially saves heavy court fees and disappointment.    
  • VyEu
    VyEu Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spousal maintenance isn't that common and is usually so the payee party has a bit of time to get back on their feet in the workplace.

However your last comment is troubling...do you have a financial remedy order in place? Because until you do financial claims as a result of the marriage remain live.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback